Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what are the best and most memorable things to do in Maui?

Nov 13th, 2001, 01:28 PM
rose

I am treating my two girls, ages 16 and 18 to a Hawaiian holiday over Christmas. I want this to be truly memorable. What activities and sight seeing should we not miss? We will be staying at the Outrigger Wailea. They love the beach but we want to be active and enjoy the area also.

Nov 13th, 2001, 02:48 PM
sammie

The Haleakala bike down is not to be missed- many tour companies will pick you up at the hotel and drop you off. There are many scuba /snorkeling/kayak trips. Tour companies run these. Rent a convertible and drive to Hana. The Wailea area is tremendous.

Nov 13th, 2001, 07:22 PM
sammie

thanks for responding, I will certainly put your suggestions on the list! We do have a convertible rented already! I figured this has to be one of the "musts"

Nov 13th, 2001, 08:54 PM
Wendy

Rose, without a doubt when in maui go on a Zodiac whale watching tour. THE BEST!! Or better yet take a catamaran out to molikini and whale watch and snorkle!! Really fantastic!!

Nov 14th, 2001, 05:14 AM
kate

I second the bike ride down Haleakala, but for truly memorable, do the sunrise bike. The tour company picks you up at your hotel around 2:30 a.m., get you all your gear (including jackets and gloves because it's COLD at the top before the sun comes up). It's pretty crowded, but amazing! Parasailing in Lahaina is pretty cool too - great views of the island. On the road to Hana, be sure you have a convertible and get the tape they sell all over the island. Pack a lunch and be sure to stop at the waterfalls and the black sand beach. Explore the caves at the beach. Other than that, you can create your own great memories! Have a great time!

Nov 14th, 2001, 06:57 AM
sss

I have heard many friends rave about Old Lahaina Lua and have always wanted to do this anyone have the experience? If I were in Maui today I would head for the upcountry side of Haleakela. People don't realize how truely affordable Maui can be when you condo it. I would love to go in Feb and spot the whales.

Nov 14th, 2001, 07:03 AM
sss

upcountry side for me and maybe I have I am making up my own terms but this is the back side of Haleakela not the side that leads in from the road to Hana. My first vision of the back side of Haleakela is my first western view of the U.S. I felt like I was in an old Marlboro comercial with the dry vegitation climbing over gorges too beautiful to miss. We even saw an owl that day.

Nov 14th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Dick

Defintely do the bike ride down Haleakala

The best time to go is your first full day on the island (assuming you will be flying in from the mainland)...you body clock won't have adjusted yet and so you will be up very early anyhow.

Convertible is a great idea.... but it is best to leave the car unlocked or, better yet,windows down if you park at a beach or trailhead. After our car top was slashed and the car broken into, we found out how common this type of crime is.

Nov 14th, 2001, 10:57 AM
xxx

four wheel drive if you can think about a jeep.

Nov 16th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Nancy

There is a conservancy that offers whale watching trips in a catamaran. I like their tours because they would never go too close to upset or harm a whale, but close enough to see them. The ride itself is a thrill when you can sit on the front of the catamaran and the waves splash on you while you hold on to the sides. Also the town of Makawao and the little hippy town of Paia. Near Paia there is a bluff and a beach where you can watch surfers and wind surfers while you either join in or picnic. Grab a box lunch in Paia.

Nov 16th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Celeste

Don't go to Maui and miss Old Lahaina Luau. It is absolutely the best.

If you like horseback riding, I highly recommend Makena Stables, just past Wailea in Makena. Wonderful horses, owners, and rides. Expensive to some, I guess, but that's Hawaii. A two hour ride is a little more than $100 each.

Snorkel in the preserve between Wailea and Makena. Is it Anihi? Can't think of the name, but someone will know!

Stroll Lahaina's stores and restaurants at least once. Try new foods. Check out Kapalua Bay for an entirely different area. By all means go to the top of Haleakala one way or the other. Biking wasn't for me or my kids, but everyone's different.