Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What are the best activities in Key West? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-are-the-best-activities-in-key-west-976641/)

walt_smith_733 May 3rd, 2013 09:11 AM

What are the best activities in Key West?

Does anybody have any recommendations for land and water activities in Key West?

SAnParis2 May 3rd, 2013 10:19 AM

There are a plethora of Key West posts on here - you may find it helpful to look @ those & if you have specific questions &/or give us an idea as to your interest(s), that would also liekly be to your benefit...

nanabee May 3rd, 2013 12:10 PM

The beaches are not that great, so most people go for the water sports, fishing, sailing, diving, snorkeling, etc. There are a lot of fun restaurants and shopping on the main street (I think it is Duvall St). Also there are a couple of wonderful historic sites.

One is the Hemingway Estate and the other is the "Little White House" or the home of President Truman. Both are well worth seeing and taking a tour of.

KVR May 3rd, 2013 01:17 PM

Dante's Pool, Duval Bar Crawl, The Old Trolley Tour, The Shipwreck Museum, The Toy Factory, Sunset Sails, Snorkeling trips, walking down Duval, walking around town, shopping, Gathering at Mallory Square for sunset, tons of restaurants and bars to try.

I have a trip report posted from our trip in July, 2010.

Daniel_Williams May 3rd, 2013 07:33 PM

My favorite activity was biking along bike path close to the Florida Strait-front.

SusieQQ May 4th, 2013 05:39 AM

Many people go to Key West to party and drink, but there is so much more to do....

Live theater: Red Barn and Waterfront
Concerts, etc: San Carlos Inst.
Mususms: Mel Fisher Maritine, Oldest House, Curry Mansion, Custom House, Audubon House, Hemingway House, Truman Summer Whitehouse

Key West Cemetery is worth a visit and there is also the Butterfly Conservatory....

Rent a scooter to get around...

ladybug98 May 23rd, 2013 12:20 PM

I loved Key West Cemetery - have to look for "odd" headstones! One of my favorite tours was a music sunset boat trip with Fury. Good music, beautiful sunset and lots of fun. Hemingway house and the lighthouse across the street is a good stop. Evening ghost tour is alsoworthwhile.

You really can't go wrong in Key West. Have Fun!

Vacaytaytay May 28th, 2013 11:51 AM

Mallory Square at sunset is a must do. They have really fun side shows every evening!Plus you can't beat the sunset its beautiful. If your looking to get out on the water, consider taking the ferry boat from ft myers beach to key west. Its a great way to actually make the trip... beats driving any day!

lizaresmith May 28th, 2013 11:10 PM

The place has lot to offer shopping malls for shopping freaks, restaurants, night clubs,beaches and nice aura in and around the place.

vincenzo32951 May 29th, 2013 04:23 AM

We took the schooner trip. I think it's called the Jolly Rover. It was relaxing and fun -- after a night of partying.

SusanMargaret May 29th, 2013 03:46 PM

In the morning we enjoy a leisurely walk along Duval Street where we pick up a pastry at Croissants de France, a coffee at Starbucks and then sit by the water and enjoy.

330east May 29th, 2013 07:16 PM

eat at Blue Heaven

Dukey1 May 29th, 2013 07:19 PM

Please do NOT go to Starbucks; there are so many better places for coffee in Key West IMO.

AAFrequentFlyer May 29th, 2013 08:47 PM

<i> consider taking the ferry boat from ft myers beach to key west. Its a great way to actually make the trip... <u> beats driving any day! </u> </i>

Little bit of a warning. It does beat driving and it's a fun way to arrive in KW, BUT, the ferry cancels the run(s) anytime there is a bad weather and it causes the gulf to be too windy and choppy for the ferry. In that case, it does leave passengers at both ends stranded and sometimes even for days. My friends were stuck in KW for 2 days before they decided to rent a car and return home. They already missed a day at work so they could not chance it and wait another day or two.

Vacaytaytay May 30th, 2013 04:53 AM

Just like when you take a plane, there is risk of cancellation, same goes for the ferry. I think that it shows consideration towards the customers, as I'm sure the company is just looking out for the well being and comfort for all aboard.

happytrailstoyou May 30th, 2013 08:31 AM

Imbibing.