Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are Alabama beaches like after hurricanes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...I will be more specific! Can you tell me what the beaches are like after the hurricanes in Alabama? We stayed in the Orange Beach area two years ago at the Hilton Garden Inn. If we come again we would like to stay at a hotel right on the beach. Otherwise is the area decent, or would it be better to go elsewhere this year? Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Not sure when you want to visit this area, but you want to keep a watchful eye on this area during the next two months. September and October are the busiest potential hurricane months and there are several tropical storms brewing in the Atlantic right now. I would contact the Hilton directly - it may be still closed.

We drove through Orange Beach/Gulf Shores/Perdido Key in late June. They are still recovering from Ivan last August which devastated this area. The condo which we rented in Perdido for 5 years was completed gone and the condo building that we stayed in for l0 years prior in Orange Beach was still closed for renovations. Very sad!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Fairhope

I was in the area Sat.
The public beaches are fine except there are no walkways or piers. There is a major re-nourishing project going on so I could not tell you if that hotel's beach in particular are effected. Ask!
What saddens me when I go down there for the day is that there are many many buildings not being repaired and at the same time there is a ton of construction!
There are restaurants, beachstores etc. We had lunch?(nachos) at the Pink Pony and the beach there is the widest I have ever seen it. But every bldg west of there to the corner is abandoned or demolished ie the old motel, Barefoot et al

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Fairhope

I just read your other post re: $80 a night
Sat, we walked from the Pink Pony next door to the "Phoenix all suites Hotel" 1 bedroom Gulf Front Suites and asked to see inside a unit. It had all the amenities of a condo and was in good shape(#210). Very very pleasant. In Oct it will be $77 a night
1 800 594 9685, www.phoenixallsuites.com
I swear I have no interest in this place!!!

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 07:12 PM

I believe the Phoenix is right next to the Perdido Beach Resort. We just returned from a three nights there last week.

The beach is beautiful and empty! No fighting over the many lounge chairs/umbrellas! Very few people visiting there, evidently, and, yes, alot of construction still ongoing.
Many new condos as well as repairing the old.

I'd say the Phoenix, at $77 would be good, as we paid $208 at the PBR, right next door.

Belle.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Wait another day or so and you'll find out after Katrina goes through. I feel for the folks in that area.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 03:15 PM

They're reporting major beach erosion occurring already, and the thing hasn't even hit yet!

Belle
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Fairhope

Phoenix all suites Hotel and the Phoenix Condos are NOT the same!!!!

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:56 AM

Fairhope: How is the Perdido Beach Resort?

Belle
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:02 AM

Since there may not even be beach left in some parts of Alabama, your question on if these places are "decent" seems naive and insensitive. Maybe they should be given a chance to count the dead before you worry about your beach vacation.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:04 AM
GoTravel

lenox, Brenda posted 8/23 before Katrina was an issue. I'm thinking you didn't notice the date maybe?

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:19 AM

I didnt notice. Thanks.

I am irritated because of other posts here today where people are lamenting the ruination of their vacation plans and it seems so insensitive and petty compared to the death and destruction that others are facing. I imagine that tourism will help refuel NO economy someday but it seems pretty unimportant compared to the wipe out of the gulf coast and what they have to contend with. I bet they would trade problems in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:30 AM
GoTravel

I agree lenox.

It kind of makes you realize that you don't really have problems.

I remember after Hurricane Hugo I realized what true luxuries are:

A real bed
A hot shower
Air conditioning
Ice.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:33 AM

Amen, gotravel! What a sigh of relief we breathed when the power turned on last night. Half of my coworkers are still without power. We were in Destin when all this happended--we came home a day early so we could get home and still got caught up in evacuation traffic.
I will never take electricity for granted again!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:53 AM
GoTravel

It is amazing isn't it? You realize what a huge thing that electricity is and how much we take for granted being able to:

Adjust the indoor temp to make us comfortable by either making it cooler when we are hot or making it warmer when we are cold.

Opening a fridge and getting something to eat.

Keeping up with what is going on with the rest of the world via media.

Drinking water that will not harm you.

We were out of power for so long after Hurricane Hugo that I just found out yesterday it was still a hurricane when it hit Charlotte.

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 12:53 PM

There are all kinds of levels of concern.

Just because someone is curious as to the condition of the places they may have shared memories, is not indication that they aren't hearts don't ache for all the suffering that's going on!

I only asked about Perdido because I thought Fairhope might know (having posted about a neighboring condo). I have friends who have places at the gulf and just left Perdido last Thursday!

I also have been praying for all affected and many of those are my family and friends! For all accounts, all of mine are at least alive!

We have many refugees in our area and I'm seeking a way to do something for them! It seems everyone is depending on Red Cross and FEMA when there may be things we each could do to help!

The refugees are going to be here for an extended while. While many are without resources due to their banks also being distroyed, freezing their assets!

I pray for wisdom to know how I can help in the best way possible! Having a 4 day weekend coming up, a BBQ just doesn't sound right to me (for me, not judging those who do). I want to DO something!

Belle