Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What American city (any size) has the most trees per square mile? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-american-city-any-size-has-the-most-trees-per-square-mile-197475/)

Betty Apr 11th, 2002 04:39 AM

What American city (any size) has the most trees per square mile?

I wonder if my fellow travelers could help me with a school assignment. I am a high school student taking a class and was assigned a paper where I have to do some reserch into urban forests. I was told to find out what American city has the most trees per square mile. I have looked everywhere but can not find the answer. (there is supose to be a study on every topic!).<BR><BR>So I thought I would go to my favorite message board to find out. I am sure travelers know? So, what is the answer.

Bill Apr 11th, 2002 05:10 AM

Hi Betty-Here is a link to the arbor day foundation where you might find the information you are looking for. Everything related to trees you can find there. You can also make a donation and they will send you seedlings to plant.<BR><BR>http://www.arborday.org/

jim Apr 11th, 2002 05:20 AM

Probably Minneapolis or Portland, but just a guess.

fla Apr 11th, 2002 06:43 AM

Gainesville, Florida. The trees are protected, one must get a permit to cut them down, even on your own property.

MrsWalsh Apr 11th, 2002 08:34 AM

It will be useful if you learn how to do research on the internet for the future, so I'll tells you how to do that rather than giving you the answer. It's not that hard, use a good search engine like "google" www.google.com Type into the search box your phrase "trees per square mile". The results page gives you sites with that phrase and you can easily see several cities that claim this title--the first two Google page results show 4 US cities claiming that. Read the resulting URLs for further info.

Betty Apr 11th, 2002 11:23 AM

My internet search came up with Atlanta, Memphis and Pittsburg all claiming to have the most trees per square mile.<BR><BR>Atlanta, maybe 20 years ago.<BR><BR>Pittsburg, maybe in the hills outside of town<BR><BR>Memphis, I doubt it<BR><BR>Still looking.

atlanta Apr 11th, 2002 11:25 AM

Atlanta will claim absolutely anything. Look under fewest trees and Atlanta will be there too.<BR><BR>The only thing Atlanta is #1 in is fewest teeth per capita.

Checkit Apr 11th, 2002 12:04 PM

Savannah and WashDC.

x Apr 11th, 2002 01:25 PM

Louisiana seems to have a lot of trees so I would guess New Orleans would have to be high on the list.

travellyn Apr 11th, 2002 01:31 PM

Believe it or not, Houston, TX is high on the list of cities with the most trees.

Vance Apr 11th, 2002 01:47 PM

As an airline pilot for United I have a birdseye view of many cities in the United States. Here are my votes for the cities with the largest amounts of trees:<BR><BR>* Washington DC (area)<BR><BR>* Atlanta (though they are losing trees fast to mega sprawl-though there were so many to start with)<BR><BR>* Raleigh (also losing fast to sprawl)<BR><BR>* Tallahasse, FL<BR><BR>* Columbia SC<BR><BR>* Nashville<BR><BR>Just from my viewpoint in the plane<BR>

Vinnie Apr 11th, 2002 01:53 PM

I think a city with alot of trees is a place that makes poor use of their land. Trees are for the countryside and for parks. I prefer an urban place like San Francisco or New York City.

Anne Apr 11th, 2002 01:58 PM

Vinnie is partially right. Under the new city planning thinking, development is very dense, which leaves very little space for trees. When a house and the driveway takes up 90 percent of the lot, again there is little room for trees.<BR><BR>Under this "smart growth system" have you noticed that the last few woodlands in the cities have been cut down for dense development like townhouses.<BR><BR>In my neighborhood, built in the 1950s, the house and driveway only takes up 20 percent of the lot, so there is lots of room for trees. Which is smarter growth?

WhyNotJustAnswer Apr 11th, 2002 01:59 PM

Believe it or not, Utica NY<BR><BR>but who cares? is anyone gonna visit that "most treed city" because of it?<BR><BR>Let us keep the threads to TRAVEL, not Betty's homework assignment.<BR><BR>Does anyone know which ethnic group has the most nose-hairs?<BR><BR>pretty stupid, huh?

Monica Apr 11th, 2002 03:20 PM

Anne: Actually, the concept behind smart growth would be to have the three story town houses close together with a park for everyone to share nearby. As someone who lives in a big sprawly area (SF Bay Area) I think it's smart. Leave the green areas green, have some real open space, close to where the people live.

Billy Apr 11th, 2002 04:26 PM

The look of a city (how many trees it has) is very travel related and an important issue in determining if I plan to visit a city. I want to visit beautiful areas not ugly ones.

John Apr 11th, 2002 05:03 PM

Hi Betty,<BR><BR>At the risk of having some indisputable facts . . . or perhaps fancy.<BR><BR>I have a mountain home in the Coconino forest in Arizona. The 'urban area' is called xxxxxxxxxx. The zip code is purportedly the second smallest in the U.S.. Since this is in the midst of the largest Ponderosa pine forest in the world one could conclude there are more trees per square mile than anywhere else.<BR><BR>Your challenge Betty is to determine the zip code!!!! Happy hunting

kam Apr 11th, 2002 06:08 PM

When we lived there 15 years ago, Evanston, Illinois claimed that title. Don't know if it was official or if it still stands.They have had a problem with Dutch elm disease although they are replacing the elms with other trees.

M.M. Apr 11th, 2002 06:18 PM

Swarthmore,Pennsylvannia aka Tree City,USA.It's a well known fact that Swarthmore has more trees than a Polish bride has nose hairs.

x Apr 11th, 2002 06:35 PM

Yea, good thinking that since Louisiana has a lot of trees, New Orleans would be high on the list. I understand New York State has an incredible amount of forested acreage, so I assume Manhattan is mainly forest.