Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What airport should I fly into? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-airport-should-i-fly-into-370103/)

cr Oct 20th, 2003 12:09 PM

What airport should I fly into?

I'm planning a trip to San Diego and Los Angeles for New Years Eve week and since flights are much cheaper when booking a round trip I'm not sure what airport to fly into. Should I fly into San Diego, Long Beach, or LAX. I was planning on starting out in San Diego and spending a few days before driving up to Los Angeles for a few days. I also need to rent a car so I need an airport with that service. How's the Long Beach airport? I was hoping to fly into SAN and out of LAX but the plane ticket is double the ticket if I just fly into and out of one place. Thanks

ChristieP Oct 20th, 2003 12:59 PM

I've flown into both LAX and LGB, and I MUCH prefer LGB! It is a small airport that has one terminal and one rental car area. Everything is within an easy walk. It is also very Art Deco, which I thought was neat!
LAX, however, is HUGE and VERY busy. It was confusingly busy, and just figuring out where to go outside and catch the shuttle bus was difficult! Also, the airport has personnel at the baggage claim who check the claim tags on all baggage, which causes delays and is a pet peeve of mine.

Sherri Oct 20th, 2003 01:00 PM

Personally, I avoid LAX at all costs. You may just fly in/out of San Diego, or consider flying in/out of Orange County which is about mid-way between the two (nice airport as well). I don't think that Long Beach's airport is commercially oriented.

rjw_lgb_ca Oct 20th, 2003 01:03 PM

Bear in mind that LA and San Diego are two hours away from each other, so open-jaw really isn't the way to go-- you'll have a car, and the drive is easy between the cities. My opinion is: Go for the cheapest fare. It'll be all the same. Another option is Orange County/John Wayne (SNA)-- did you check into that airport? Another 20 minutes closer to SAN.

Long Beach Airport (LGB) is a step backward in time from LAX and SAN. The terminal doesn't have jetways, for one thing-- you walk out onto the tarmac for all flights. The building itself is a Historic Landmark, so temporary outbuildings account for roughly half of passenger processing. In its favor, getting in and out is a snap, and it has several major car rental companies right in the terminal. It is 20 minutes south of LAX and about 1 hour 40 minutes north of SAN, right off the freeway. LGB has limited niceties (an OK newstand, rudimentary coffeeshop in main terminal, little coffee kiosks in the outbuildings, one restaurant in the main terminal), which can be a problem if you have a long wait for the flight home. Since I live 10 minutes away from LGB, I like its convenience and tend to use it for all my flights (American's service through DFW means I can go anywhere I want, basically).

reneeinva Oct 20th, 2003 01:07 PM

We flew in and out of LGB this summer. It worked well for us.

Now, I have a silly question that I have been waiting a long time to ask! I think we saw Barry Williams (Greg Brady) at the LGB airport with a small child in a stroller. A little research turned up that he did have a baby in January. But I cannot find anything to link him with LGB! Was it him?! I would love to be able to say with certaintly, "We saw Greg Brady!"

It has been a very long Monday.

rjw_lgb_ca Oct 20th, 2003 01:16 PM

reneeinva: If he was flying to JFK, he might have been using JetBlue or American (both have non-stops out of LGB). Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle to fly out of LAX, and it's not like LGB is so far away from LA (although he might actually live in Orange County-- who knows?)....

reneeinva Oct 20th, 2003 01:18 PM

He WAS flying JetBlue to JFK! It was him. I just know it.
:)