Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What airline gives you the most leg room.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 12:03 PM
rob

what airline gives us the most leg room,charter/schedule.
what class difference is the best.or do you know better.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 04:37 PM
Tony

Domestically (US) speaking, I'd like to know too. American alleges they took out a couple rows in the back, but I don't know how much really of a difference that would make.

If anyone knows please put up your fave three for most leg room.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 05:49 PM
Beth

United took out a row in coach, and now has a 36 inch pitch in the first few rows (average coach is 30-31 inches), so its a big improvement. Unfortunately, the seats are reserved for people with frequent flyer status or who've paid full fare coach (ie business travellers flying on short notice).

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 06:01 PM
Jeff

Here's a URL which shows seat map, seat width and pitch (distance between seats) for all plane types and for all airlines:

http://businesstravel.about.com/trav...l/msubseat.htm

Industry average for coach is 29-31 inches pitch, American now averages 33-35 with seat width 19 inches, Midwest Express is 34 inches with 22 inch width.
Those are top averages for coach.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 08:12 PM
al

jeff american removed 2 rows of seats for more leg room but there coach seat width is 17" the 19" seats are in 1st class you can get american seating charts on their site aa.com. seat pitch is 31-32 coach

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 08:54 AM
Monica Richards

I took an American flight on a new route from San Jose to Hawaii, and they had the new seat configuration. The seats were so far apart the person on the window seat could get up to go to the bathroom without asking everyone else to move! Now that's a lot of room! Not all of their planes are done yet, but when they are, I won't fly any other airline.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 09:14 AM
Jeff

Al, that's the 'old configuration'.
The new arrangement is as stated (from one of their press releases). The reason their site hasn't updated is that most of their planes haven't been reconfigured yet. If they put that info on the site, it's going to create problems, as you can imagine, for those on the 'old' planes and for those who see it as inaccurate PR.