Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What ahppened to Statia's Friday night Poison Thread??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I miss it? Did it get pulled? Too much potty talk last week? Or is Statia out Christmas shopping? What?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I looked for it last night and didn't see it on either board. Statia must have been out partying.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM
P_M

I know Statia was planning a trip to Italy, but I don't know when. Maybe she's there now.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Onward! My evening poison this week has been Pimm's. And here's a question: What's your favorite mode of vacation travel?

My DH and I just realized that in 10 years of vacations to many parts of the world, there's been only one trip (northern England and the Lakes District) during which we haven't taken a boat ride. We didn't plan it that way - ferries and canoes and and barges and gondolas and catamarans just seem to jump in our way.

How about your folks?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM

My poison is Corona Light and my favorite mode of travel has to be a Bermuda ferry. Sigh.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Perhaps Statia had a little too much poison and was unable to post? ;-)

cmcfong, we loved the Bermuda ferries, too! but I think my favorite modes of transportation are planes and trains.

Drinking water for now but tonight we're hosting a Christmas party so I'll be switching to poison later!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM
emd
Original Poster

She usually has someone cover the post for her if she isn't going to be able to do it. She even started it while she was in Italy recently.

Favorite mode of transportation: Reindeer. That is what it feels like after hearing the red nosed song so many times this week. I don't do boats.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM

I was having my poison out last night.

Presently I'm sitting on my patio, watching the sunset, and waiting for my sister to get online with her webcam so I can watch my mother open her early Christmas gift of a first class ticket for her dream trip to Rome. I'm sitting on pins and needles.

Favorite mode of transport for me would be a gondola or water taxi in Venice.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM

I forgot my poison....a glass of chardonnay while I wait in anticipation for sis to call with mom on the phone.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Last night's poison was the most expensive I've ever had...and I don't even know what winery it was from.

DH and I went to a small intimate, catered affair at the CEOs house for just company officers. The host and one of the officers are cabernet collectors but don't come off as wine snobs. There were at least 12 different wines with just 10 people in attendence.

My husband drinks Jack Daniels instead of wine but asked about the decanted cab that was poured with the main course. He kind of jokingly said, "So... $250 a bottle? $350?" Turned out to be $500 per bottle and we drank two.... I'm thinking, "$1000 could have paid for airfare to Paris..."

My favorite mode of transportation is the sleigh ride to Pine Creek Cookhouse 30 minutes outside of Aspen. A full moon, huge snow flakes, old quilts on our laps, Christmas carols, and a husky dog bossing the horses around added to the ambiance.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Dear Statia,

What a great gift. Hope your mom is thrilled. Web cam - nice way to see her reaction.

No poison yet, waiting for my DH to return for a glass of merlot. Our mode of transportation is car. My husband grew up in Detroit in the high days of the auto. He can't go on any vacation without a car--represents freedom and independence to him. We've navigated throught London, Rome, Paris, Vienna, Prague, Warsaw, etc. and countless small towns, villages and back roads, over the Furka Pass (white knuckles for me), etc. He even had to take a car to Venice just so he could park it in the Tronchetto for three days . Gotta love him and he's a blast to travel with.

SusanEva
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Statia my emails were returned.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I'm misty eyed now. Just got off the phone and webcam with my mom and she was thrilled to pieces with her Rome surprise, and is just beyond words since she didn't know I've rented an apartment, as well.

Mimi, I'll send you an email so you have my new address.

Happy Saturday night to all and enjoy your poison!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM

amwosu: Wow! The drinks I had last night, caipirinhas, were only $5.50 each! And they were good too!

Statia: You think of everything, don't you?! 1st the trip, then the webcam! ...and how could she NOT be ecstatic!!

My mom called a couple nights ago, very happy to get the mosquito vac we had had delivered!!...NO comparison!

Belle
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Belle, trust me, this is a topper for gifts to my mom for any occassion, but we almost lost her to an illness a year or so ago, so that's why we want to do this trip before it's too late. The gift is really for her birthday (when we will be in Rome), but I just couldn't keep the lid on things much longer. She's been happy with an acrylic nail/pedicure gift certificate in the past, too. I'm glad your mom likes her mosquito vac!

SusanEva, thanks for the kind words.

So, what is everyone else's poison tonight and as Wordtowander asked, what's your fave mode of vacation transport?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:50 PM

My poison last night was an Australian Chard from Chai's Island Bistro. Altho it was a very good wine, the remarkable thing was the appetizer the bartender recommended to pair with it--the escargot & prawn in a brandied cream sauce. Oh my God!! I almost licked the plate, but thought better of it and used bread instead.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM

oops, and my favorite mode of vacation transport is anything as long as it's first class!

(Living in Hawaii, my only means of vacation transport is the plane if I want to go anywhere.)
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 04:09 PM

MelissaHI, I can relate. With living on an 8-square mile island it can be daunting to have to buy airfare to go anywhere, rather than just get in the car and drive. (Memories).

On top of that, our fares for leaving for the next port (SXM) have recently gone up quite a bit. It can be insane at times, but we always say, "You've just gotta get off the rock at some point. Even if it only means going to another rock."
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:56 PM

my poison tonight is jameson.
ahhhh favorite transportation has to be in my boat on the way to my camp on sebec lake in maine. (for those "from away" a camp in maine means a summer cabin/house/mansion on a lake, often used only in summer) mine is definetly the cabin style. there is no road thus the boat,no power- we have propane for lights and cooking and frig, or running water other than hand pumped water from the lake. there are 10 camps in the area of my 3 mile or so stretch of the shoreline, all of which have been owned by the same families for over a 100 years.
2nd choice would be any plane about to land on any island...
either would be nice right now!
statia what a wonderful gift you have given your mother. and ain't technology wonderful.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:19 PM
emd
Original Poster

Tonight, after a shopping trip w/15 yr old son who is angsting over what is appropriate to get his girlfriend, we are watching "The Sound of Music" (god, I love Julie Andrews, why didn't I go see her on Broadway in "Victor Victoria" when I had the chance??) Now I can kick back and enjoy the next two weeks of Christmas! And because I found a great place online that can deliver German coldcuts and German sausages and German breads and mustard and red cabbage w/apples and everything else she loves (and I also found a German bakery close to my house that makes fresh German-style cookies and great stollen, and sent those off too), to my dear 91 yr old German Mom who is living in an Alzheimer's assisted living facility in Houston. Fortunately, I traveled w/her when we could do that, but not to the extent that I would have liked. We did go to Germany twice together. I am thankful for that.

So Statia, I am living vicariously, with your trip to Italy w/your Mom. I know you know how fortunate you are.

And let me revise my previous answer. Right now my favorite mode of transportation is JAPAN RAIL PASS. I am planing an April trip w/my sweet 13 yr old daughter and am getting ready to buy our JP passes soon. Such a great rail system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -