Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What about Weston for pre-cruise hotel near Ft. Lauderdale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about Plantation. What about Westen? I got the lowest rate for a nice, decent hotel there. How far is Westen from the airport and from the port? Do you know about cab costs to and from Westen?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 04:31 AM

I would think that Weston is at least a 30 minute drive from the airport and port in Ft. Lauderdale. A cab would be pretty expensive. There isn't much to do in Weston, it's really more of a residential area. You are about 10-15 minutes away from Sawgrass Mills shopping/outlet mall.
If you are thinking about staying at the Boneventure resort (don't remember if it's a Westin or Wyndham now), be sure to get a renovated room.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Too far out--
You can go on Priceline and book the Amerisuites on 17 st Causeway..they offer breakfast and a shuttle to the cruise ship..

Have no idea WHY you want to stay so far away from the port..The port area is FINE...

We always stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 with a view of the Intracoastal..it is right down the block from the Amerisuites...
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:39 AM

The Renaissance is also a good choice if you can get a good rate. Close with a nice restaurant. Also, the Marriott at the pier has a good outdoor restaurant and is a good choice.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

I don't WANT to stay far away from the water and port. I prefer to stay on the water, but the hotels are so expensive. It was just that I found a nice hotel that was a lot more inexpensive in Westin, but having never been there, I wondered how far away it was and if it was worth it or not if we would make up the money saved in cab costs anyway.

I know that I could probably get a nice hotel on the water on Priceline, but the problem is that I need two rooms, and I want them connected. I don't want our family being split up on separate floors, or even not next to each other, and that cannot be guarranteed if I buy them on Priceline.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I live half way between Weston and the Port/Airport, across the interstate from Plantation. If I were you, I'd stay in Plantation. There's a Hampton Inn that serves breakfast and it's within walking distance to a nice mall (dining options are decent in the area.) There are loads of 4-story hotels near the Broward Mall. A cab shouldn't be too much from there to the port. What dates are you looking at? Maybe I can make a call, locally, and find out some info for you.

Also, if you want to stay near the port, check out the Holiday Inn Express. It's on 17th St Causeway in a nice area. Last time I looked, they had decent rates. Sometimes if you call the hotel itself you can get a better rate than the internet.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:04 PM

tl91-- Call the Amerisuites 800 direct and ask all the pertinent questions..You want the Amerisuites on the 17th St Causeway in FT Lauderdale...

Tell them you want 2 connecting or adjoining rooms- MOST hotels cannot quarentee connecting but in most cases they will NOTE on your reservations that you want adjoining or connecting..However, it is just tha...a note, not a guarenteee...

Book the rooms and then try it on Priceline..If you get a cheaper price, then cancel them reservations that you made direct..

But these rooms are NOT that expensive...

The Hyatt at Pier 66 IS expensive if you book direct..but people have even gone on Priceline and gotten it for $75 pn which is dirt cheap..

WHAT rates are you looking at the Weston/Plantation area?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

They have a bedroom suite for $119, where there are two bedrooms connected in the same room. So, we would be together but have two separate bedrooms for $119. We wouldn't have to reserve two rooms and take the risk that they wouldn't be connected...(So, it would be like $59.50 per room if we got two rooms.)It's a Courtyard.

There is a Courtyard with the same room in Cypress Creek which is closer, but the same room is $169 there, and there still would be travel costs.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:56 PM

I have a ??

If the room is a 1 BR suite, is the other room actually the livingroom with a sofa bed? You need to check. If that's the case, then you might as well pay the price and get a room at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street, just around the corner from the Port.

Weston is at least 20 miles to Port Everglades. Plantation is about 10 miles, and there are plenty of extended stay and suite hotels in Plantation to consider. Weston hotels are in business/residential districts.

Cypress Creek may be closer when looking at a map, but the chances of hitting bad traffic are greater. I-95 is a pain most times.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I wouldn't mind having a bedroom suite that has a sofabed in the living room area, and I love the idea of being by the port in Embassy Suites, but the rate for that room at Embassy Suites is $229. That's $110 more than the other room. I know I could get a room at Embassy Suites cheaper at Priceline, but it wouldn't be that suite.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:54 PM

tl91== HAVE you called Amerisuites ? their rates are way more reasonable than Embassy Suites and they are an ALL SUITE hotel also...

Try them....
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM

Amerisuites is just a few blocks away from Embassy Suites, so you should give them a try. Their local number is (954)763-7670 (1851 SE 10th Ave)

Also, I thought all the Embassy Suites were the same layout: Separate bedroom with a livingroom area with a sofabed. Do they have other types of suites, too?????
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

About Embassy Suites, from what I understand they also have standard rooms with two double beds in them (no separate bedroom), and I believe that is what you get with Priceline.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM

tl91=

Embassy Suites BEDROOM comes with EITHER one king or 2 doulble beds PLUS a living room with a sleeper sofa...

Have you called the Amerisuites yet as they are cheaper....???
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

YES, I have called Amerisuites. It sounds like a very nice place, but although their rooms are considered "suites," they do not have bedroom suites where there is a separate bedroom in the room. So, we would have to get two rooms at $134 each.

I didn't realize, however that at Embassy Suites that every room has a separate bedroom. Their normal rate is $223 though. It would work if I got that on Priceline, but if I got Marriott Marina, then I would need two rooms. I wouldn't want to bid for one and Marriott Marina, and then need another room and get Embassy suites. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to ask for two rooms and get Embassy suites, where I only would have needed one room...Hmmmm.

Also, Can you guarrantee a non-smoking room through Priceline?

I have also heard that the non-smoking rooms at Embassy Suites still smell like smoke. Anyone who reads this know about this?

One other question about Embassy Suites...They said it was free transportation from airport to hotel and from hotel to port. That sounds great, but I read one post that one hotel told them one thing, and then when they got there it was another case. Anyone know if this is correct or not?
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:27 PM

I called Embassy Suites a few months ago inquiring about the transportation and if they'd drop someone off in between the hotel and the port for shopping. They said it was strictly used for transportation between the hotel, port and airport. I spoke directly to the hotel, itself, and not an "800" number.

Does this answer your question? It might be worth it just to get the room at Embassy and figure the extra $$ would have been spent on cab rides to get everywhere. Try to talk to the hotel itself and ask for a better rate. The worse they can say is "NO" and if you don't like the rate, hang up and call back, maybe another shift (usually later at night when the brass aren't there) will give you a better rate. I've heard this is the trick for getting cheaper rates.