Whaler's Cove or Marriott in Lihue

Old May 16th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whaler's Cove or Marriott in Lihue

Which place would you rather stay for just a few nights (after staying five nights on the north side)on Kauai? We have five people in our group so not sure if we would have to book two rooms at the Marriott or could have a two bedroom suite. We have Whaler's Cove booked right now for just under 500 a night. Wondering if the kids would enjoy the Marriott more IF we could get a good rate for all us. For the Hyatt it would have cost 700 for two rooms-too much for us! Does anyone know how many people are allowed in a two bedroom suite at the Marriott? Which accomodation would you prefer? My children are 10 and 7.
Thanks for your help!
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Whaler's Cove is nice, and oceanfront -- but no beach, no on-site restaurants, etc.

With the kids, I'd suggest the Marriott in Lihu`e instead -- the beach is big and right there (the kids can take surfing and/or boogie boarding lessons), the pool is huge, there's a nice outdoor snack bar (swimsuits and barefeet encouraged!) in addition to the 3 on-site restaurants, and it's _very_ kid-friendly.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Having stayed at Whalers Cove I think the condos ther can be most appreciated by adults. I don't think it's much of a draw for kids. The pool is standard size and the ocean entrance is rocky. I think your kids will be much happier at the Marriott. It's a beautiful property so you should be happy too!
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Ashley writes: For the Hyatt it would have cost 700 for two rooms-too much for us!

Wrong, you can get rooms for $249 a night on the Hyatt web site. Click on Hyatt Stay Certificates. You can check for your dates before ordering. Fabulous grounds, lagoon and pools for a family.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/C...rts.asp?navH=1

Old May 18th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

I called the Hyatt and asked about using the certificates and they told me they weren't available for my dates. If they were, I definately would have paid that way.
I also tried calling the Marriot and they are all booked for my dates! I guess we will stay at Whaler's Cove. I like the Ocean front location with great rooms and lanai. My girls will enjoy the heated pool, even if it isn't a fantasy pool. We will only be there for a few days anyways.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Kal

Ash,
How many dates are you taking and won't your hubby get mad??? :-?
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

LOL! Yes, I think my hubby just might be mad!
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM

You might want to try the Sheraton at Poipu. They are oceanfront for Poipu beach which is a great beach with kids. It is not as nice as the Hyatt, but probably more appealing to the kids than Whalers.
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:12 PM

Marriott also has a new timeshare place right on Poipu Beach, they were renting units too last year (2/2 I think).Their website freezes this old clunker PC so couldn't check further
You don't say how many nights or when the trip is planned but many condos will go for two or three night minimums. Last year we used Suite Paradise (www.suite-paradise.com ) to rent a 2/2 "Garden Xdlx" in Poipu Kai, we got a 1700 sq ft unit, huge master suite the length of upstairs, about a hundred yds from the pool and a further hundred yds to Poipu/Brenneke's Beach. We loved it. Hard to beat for the price: $1000 for seven nights, incl. all taxes. The rate goes up for shorter stays but still pretty good.
No, I don't work for them nor do I own a condo there (I wish).

Lots of cottages etc at http://www.gloriasvacationrentals.com/

Good hunting
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
Ag3046

I would recommend either Sheraton or Mariott with the swimable beach. The Sheraton's was pretty small and overcrowded. I prefered the Mariott's. The Hyatt is trying hard to compensate with their pool extravaganza, but I don't think it was worth it. You really want a nice safe swimable beach. And boogie board and surf lessons would be so much fun for kids.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Ag3046

Also- I agree that Whaler's cove is more adult. Not an easy way for kids to get to the beach. Brennecke's beach ( the little one to the east, not Poipu) was way too rough/difficult for kids. Actually, the only place for kids to boogie board there was Sheraton's as Poipu itself has a coral/rock ledge at the entrance and is not practical for boogie boarding.