Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Whale Cruise- Which ones are best? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whale-cruise-which-ones-are-best-222177/)

vapor_trails Jan 6th, 2004 03:24 PM

Whale Cruise- Which ones are best?

Going to Maui in March, which Whale Watch cruise would you recommend?? Thanks, Ed

MinnieNo1 Jan 6th, 2004 03:32 PM

We've been there a couple of times, but have only used Pacific Whale Foundation tours. They have several boats to choose from and the price is certainly reasonable. The guides are VERY knowledgeable and some of the profits also help the whales. We've also used them for the snorkel trips and are planning on both tours this Feb. when we go. Would even be worth a few extra $ is they use the profits for the whales.

marthag Jan 6th, 2004 03:38 PM

We used both Trilogy and Paragon out of Kaanapali, and were very pleased with their boats and crew.

JackieSun Jan 25th, 2004 08:43 PM

I agree Pacific Whale Foundation is the best. I am a frequent whale watcher - 20 trips in 5 days. I have tried other cruises - but PWF has the best guides and hospitality. They have different size boats. The Explorer seats about 50. The other boats seat 100+. I like the smaller boat because you can see the whales better on both sides of the boat - it only has a small shaded area.

Dorothy01 Jan 27th, 2004 01:26 PM

I am and have been a member of the Pacific Whale Foundation for the past ten years and am in year two of a three year membership. I will definitely renew my membership. I totally support this organization and the great education programs and research projects they perform. I travel to Maui every year (sometimes two times) primarily to whale watch.

I have been on at least 50 whale watches in Maui and went on twelve in 2003. None of my last fifteen trips have been on a Pacific Whale Foundation boat.

My favorite whale watches have been through Ultimate Whale Watch; the yellow zodiac raft-type boat leaves from Lahaina Harbor. We did eight of their cruises in 2003. Only sixteen people can fit on the boat and you are guaranteed an incredible view. You are almost at water level so when the humpback passes under your boat, you can really see him or her. The raft can really travel fast so you have more opportunities to see whales.

The first trip costs more than those offered through the Pacific Whale Foundadtion but you receive a substantial discount for your second trip.

The captain and naturalist absolutely love what they are doing. They explain behaviors and activity directly to you and welcome questions. People who take these cruises are usually true whale watching fanatics and your fellow passengers make the trip an awesome experience.

Other excellent small boat whale watching cruises include the America II, a sailboat with fabulous viewing, extremely comfortable seating, and fantastic crews. They also give discounts for second trips. They are also in Lahaina Harbor.

The Seamist also provides incredible trips and often very funny commentary. They too are located at Lahaina Harbor.

PLMK if you need more info.

We