Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   We've done Florida/Disney World. Suggestions for spring break next year? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weve-done-florida-disney-world-suggestions-for-spring-break-next-year-137054/)

Annie Jul 7th, 2001 08:26 AM

We've done Florida/Disney World. Suggestions for spring break next year?

Kids 17, 14 and 12. Most of our vacations have been to Florida; would like to try something different. Kids wouldn't mind doing Disney AGAIN, but what is the weather like in California in mid March? I don't care to be cold! The cost of a cruise or Bahamas or something like that is probably too prohibitive for us.

jj Jul 7th, 2001 10:17 AM

Check out Club Med family clubs. All-inclusive sports, food, too much fun!!

Penny Jul 7th, 2001 01:27 PM

What about the Southwest? Several years ago, we flew to Phoenix, where we spent a few days--then drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (via Sedona), where we stayed two nights. Then drove north to Utah--Bryce and Zion canyons, one night each. Drove to Las Vegas and flew home from there. <BR> <BR>It was April, so slightly warmer--not sure what the weather would be like in March. <BR> <BR>We loved the trip, and our kids (who were then, I think, 12 and 10) have said they'd do it again, the same way. <BR> <BR>Also, San Diego is a great destination. <BR> <BR>

patt Jul 7th, 2001 03:26 PM

I second the suggestion to see the southwest. My husband and I lived there for 6 years and last year we took our 2 children (ages 8 and 12). We had a GREAT time. We flew into Phoenix and rented a car for 9 days; drove all over the state. If you belong to AAA, you can plan the trip yourself since most hotels have toll free numbers. We stayed in several that had very nice breakfasts. Cities to suggest are: Phoenix, Tuscon, Sedona and Grand Canyon/Flagstaff area. Arizona is a terrific place if you have never been our west. Good luck.

David Jul 7th, 2001 04:31 PM

Not sure where your coming from (geographical) but I'd suggest Colorado for sking (if your break is in early-mid March) or Chicago (lots of cool stuff).

Deb Jul 7th, 2001 05:11 PM

If they're baseball fans, the Phoenix area has spring training games during the month of March - big league baseball at cheaper prices.

anna Jul 9th, 2001 10:17 AM

I second the southwest. We did Tucson-Flaggstaff-Grand Canyon-Phoenix-Tucson with our kids this past April and had a good time. Saw Walnut Canyon, the Meteor Crater, Desert Museum in Tucson, Titan Missile Silo. Enjoyed the Grand Canyon. Wish my folks had taken me there when I was a kid. Mostly stayed in Embassy Suites, except for I think a Quality Suites in Tusayan near the GC. Got $129 airfares from United (Chicago to Tucson) and a full-size rental car for $229 from Budget, so it was not a real expensive trip for a family of 5. Bought a styrofoam cooler for $1.29 at Wal-mart and kept it full of soft drinks all week. It was HOT in April. Car rental was much cheaper in Tucson than Phoenix and it was cheaper to fly in and out of there too.

Suzie Jul 9th, 2001 10:26 AM

Annie, <BR> <BR>March is probably the most difficult month to predict in CA, weather wise. Some years we have experienced the March Miracle, referred to as such, as it saved us from drought by raining the entire month! Some years like this one it was quite pleasant. If you'll be visiting So CA, you'd have a better chance of not being cold. I'd vote with the other posts about the SouthWest.

Kari Jul 10th, 2001 07:11 AM

If your kids want to go back to Disney, why not try DisneyLand and the new California Adventure? Like you, we've done the DisneyWorld thing for the past 6 years...this year we tried California and our kids LOVED it (ages 14, 12, 10 and 8). You still have that comfortable familiar feeling being a Disney vacation, yet a totally new experience at the same time. Just don't expect Florida balmy weather - and find a hotel with an indoor pool if you want to do evening swims!