Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Westwood, CA (near UCLA) - Is Mario's Italian Restaurant still open?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many moons ago when I lived in the SoCal area, dinner at Mario's and a Westwood movie was a great date night (as I said, many moons ago). Heading back that way next week for the holidays, I'm having trouble finding out whether it's still there. Could I possibly have read correctly that a California Pizza Kitchen has taken over their spot? Yikes!
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Ah, Mario's. It's not there anymore, I remember eating there too. I don't know what's there but it is definitely gone...
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, noryglory. Another icon bites the dust. Too bad. Loved that place.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We all loved Marios, but he went away about 10 years ago and California Pizza Kitchen has taken his place. Stan's is still across the street, though, and I don't think anyone in L.A. will allow it to go down.

Here's the good news! Mario's cousin, Anna, still has her restaurant called, you guessed it, Anna's, at the corner of Pico and Midvale (one block west of Westwood) with the same waiters, the same owners, the same food and, yes, the same clientele, that's made this the staple of Westwood South family Italian fare for the last 50 plus years. We go there often, since the food is good, not expensive, and it's a few blocks from our home.

It's right down the block from the Apple Pan where my son, it just so happens, went off to have a bite with his friend, and brought me back a hickory burger. Another family/teenage hangout since 1948. Ah, that smoked hickory flavor is still dancing on my tongue!
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:27 AM

No Way! I have eaten at Anna's too over the years, it is near my then-boyfriend/now-husband's dad's house. I had no idea the restauranteurs were related. Very interesting tidbit of trivia. Thanks!
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM

Yes, the Italian families do that a lot. For example, Matty Jordan, the former owner (until his death) of Matteo's on Westwood, is the brother of Maria Alfano, who ran Maria's up in Barrington Place (she eventually sold it). Maria's daughter, Madelyn (who I went to school with), runs all of the Maria's Italian Kitchens in L.A. (one also being on Pico at Malcolm, across from the Westside Pavillion).
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 08:36 AM

I was at Anna's the other night and asked Tony (one of the two owners) to remind me how Anna's came into being. Actually, Mario himself opened up Anna's back in '68 or '69 after the success of Mario's in the Village, and named the restaurant after his wife (not cousin), Anna. Mario closed up the Village restaurant when the rent soared beyond his means. There you go.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Oh Surfergirl, I am so sad to read your news about Anna's! We have just returned from our CA trip. If only I had received your reply earlier. I see now that we could have enjoyed our Veal Parmesean had we known! Woe is me!

Something to look forward to next time.