Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Westin Kierland Resort special offer--legit??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:07 AM
E
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just received a special offer in the mail from the Westin Kierland Resort near Scottsdale: 4 nights plus a $100 resort certificate for shopping, golf, dining or spa, all for $379. Total. The catch is that we must pay half now to reserve; the other half will be due when we actually book a date, which we must do within 12 months.

Is anyone familiar with this offer?Have you stayed at this resort? Am I missing a major catch? Call me suspicious, but in my world, pie is never free...
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Why not just call the hotel directly?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I have actually taken advantage of this offer before. They are trying to sell timeshares. The more you are willing to listen - the more they will give you when you arrive. I actually did this about four months after they opened the resort and they really did not yet have it together yet. I did not have a good experience. The hotel is nice, the room was nice but the service was awful.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM

did you read the fine print on the offer?

I believe that time share offers must state so.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM
E
Original Poster

See, Dick, that's just it: I have read the entire mailing, every word, and there is nothing at all in there about any presentations, nor does the word "timeshare" ever appear. I read the fine print, the back, all the exceptions...is that true, that timeshare offers must say that that's what they are?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I don't know if its a federal law..ore just a locla law in some states .....but it seems that every time share offer that I get includes th einfo in the tiny print (usually on the back)
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM

I got a phone call at home with an offer that was too good to believe. $69 a night for the Kierland. They said it was because of my status at a Starwood member. Whatever.

But they were very open about the 2-hour timeshare presentation that we'll have to attend. We decided to go ahead and book it - after all, it's a luxury Starwood property for $69 a night. That's better than having to redeem points for a luxury property. Can't beat that, even if we do have to sit through a timeshare presentation.

We're going in January, so unfortunately I can't give you my opinion of the facility yet.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM
E
Original Poster

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I think I will call the resort directly after all and see what they say; surely if I ask "is this about timeshares?" they'll come clean!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 09:26 AM
emd

Gee, maybe you could apologize to Leona then, since you are ending up taking her simple and helpful advice.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM

Suggest you may want to consider booking the deal. The big reputable hotel chains make these offers from time to time. We did one at the Marriott in Kauai and stayed in a small "villa." The villa was about $79/night and they gave us over $100 in hotel credits for dining, shopping, etc. We attended a one hour presentation that was very professional and not at all annoying. We've received info about a similar deal at the Highlands Inn in Carmel (a Hyatt?) and plan to do that one too.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM

PS: We didn't buy the timeshare and don't intend to buy one at the Highlands Inn either!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:10 AM

We received a similar offer from Starwood to stay at the Princeville Hotel in Kauai. I called and asked if we were required to attend a timeshare presentation and was told we were NOT. When we arrived at the Princeville, we were asked if we wanted to attend a presentation in exchange for additional goodies, but we were not required to attend the presentation in order to take advantage of the original offer (which was awesome, by the way. $799 for 5 nights at the Princeville, plus $100 certificate for meals or golf, plus an Avis car rental). Starwood was trying to sell timeshares at a new Westin resort they are building on Maui.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Expect to travel to this resort next month, any specific info. you're looking for about the resort
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Just back, and I quite enjoyed the pools!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM

Just don't get suckered in. We went on the initial offer. Resort was very nice but timeshare presentation was brutal - very pressured. But dumb me went along with my husband and agreed to have a second look. Have 18months to go back for second look. Just called 7 months in advance to go in Oct and they say all booked. Yea, right. We have family going then so want to go then. Only time they have is early Sept or late Nov. It's a scam and rip-off. So now why would I even consider buying one if there is that little flexibility. They just lost a sale - wouldn't someone figure that is how it will be when they try to book their timeshare week. Who wants to book that far in advance - at least not while i'm working. And then no flexiblility with airfare. Live and Learn . We got hosed so don't you too!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:54 AM

actually nanorran it depends on what you buy - there are different plans in time share. Lets say you buy one week. You can buy a season like "high" which may cover 2-3 months and your week can be used anytime in that season. In that case yes you would have to do some advance planning to get the week you want. You can buy a fixed week say the 3rd week of November every year and then you will be guaranteed that week at that location (may not be guaranteed if you want to trade it to another location). Anyway we have looked at Marriott Vacation Club a couple of times and it is tempting. The one thing that bothers me and I am sure it is same with all TS is the annual maintenance fees. When you are putting out 900-1500 bucks a year for maintenance per week, it seems to offset any savings. True it is unlikely you can book a hotel the same quality as these places for $1200 for seven nights but you can book a pretty darn nice joint for that. Since you still have to buy food/drink/activities I struggle with exactly how these are a real good deal. Just my thoughts.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:57 AM

We spent the week after Easter,actually arrived on Easter with that same deal. We booked an additional two nights. It is a legit offer. They want you to buy a time share. You are NOT required to take a tour. We did not. The rate per night on line and calling the resort is 625/650 per night. We are Starwood members used a 1000 pts and received rate of 325/night. The resort is very nice. Reserve blding 3 it has best views and best situation. You can also read my post on Tripadvisor. We are mid forties and took 18 yr old and 16 yr old.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM

I got something similar to this offer. When I called to book...they had VERY limited dates available. I choose not to pursue.
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM

The Starwood forum on FlyerTalk.com has a lot of information on these types of deals from Starwood. You can lurk there and learn a lot.

I do own a timeshare and it's not with Starwood (I wish).

If you do want to buy a timeshare at some point in the future, buy on the secondary market. You'll still have to pay the yearly maintenance fees (which go up up UP), but you won't have the huge purchase price. And don't believe a word of what the salespeople promise you. We were offered a "free" cruise, among other things, for attending the presentation, but there were SO many strings attached, including a cash downpayment for the "free" cruise! And if they couldn't accommodate you on the ship on one of the dates you picked, you lost your deposit! We were young and stupid at the time. Now we're older and we still have the dumb timeshare. LOL But at least it's paid for.
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM

Or better yet, rent a timeshare. Redweek.com has some great deals!