Search

Hawaiian cruise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaiian cruise

I will be taking a cruise through the Hawaiian Islands on Celebrity leaving from Ensenada Mexico stopping at Nawiliwili, Kauai; Lahaine, Maui; Hilo and Kailua Kona, Hawaii. I will be in port about 10 hours at each stop. Need info on tours of these Islands. Really would like to save money and not take the Ships's excursions. There are 3 couples so we could hire guides who have a van. Any suggestions??
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:48 AM

I think you would get better response by posting on Fodor's Cruise Forum.

As someone who has been to Hawaii many times but not on a cruise (I am not a cruise person, one was enough for me!) I'd suggest renting a van and sightseeing yourself. The islands are very easy to navigate and you can set your own pace. You will really not have much time in port so good planning is vital. You can contact some of the tour companies (do a web search - Roberts is one of the largest that I remember) and see what they have in the way of small guided tours for just the 9 of you if you don't want to drive yourselves.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I posted on the cruise forum. New to this site so I didn't pay much attention. I'll check with Roberts.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 07:09 PM

Check out the Cruise Critic web site for cruise info.

www.cruisecritic.com
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 10:25 PM

The helicopter tours are highly recommended on Kauai (but somewhat expensive $150+ p/p). With 6 of you, you might charter a flight, not really cheaper, but they would tailor it to you a bit. If you select Hawaii in the topic field, you will find lots of older posts with good info.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:52 PM

OK 1st book with an activity company, like activity warehouse, activity world. You can book all islands with them.
maui: go to whalers village in town of kannapalli only mabey 10 miles from your port. You can snorkle at black rock ( rent snorkle gear- activity co. will help you do that ) and lunch at beach side cafe , and shop at a real nice open air shops all together. OR take a snorkle trip ( use activity company- about $60.00 per person, they have some that leave out of your dock area book morning trip if time permitts.
kaui: You will need a car. tour bus is ok but mostly gift shops stops ugg!! Anyway get a touist map of sites and carefully map out what you want to see like ( blow hole is near your dock-good place to start your day) then go to (mehean-not spelled correct) ruins) and giant water fall ,then rent snorkle equipment( if able to snorkle) pick out the beaches along the way to visit, but if you can snorkle and hike i have the perfect spot. kee beach all the way on the north end of the island about 1 hour drive. Leave all the other activities till the end, that i suggested get your rent car and get there as fast as possible. the beach is great and safe to snorkle and swim , the kicker is right next to it is a beatifull up hill ( moderate ) hike to beatifull vistas you will never forget and water falls all arround you . so wear tennis shoes bring towels, food , drinks ( hint stop at subway there everywhere) water and sunscreen . Well there are my takes. have fun. nick