Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Westin Francis Marion Hotel - Charleston - advice needed! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/westin-francis-marion-hotel-charleston-advice-needed-300297/)

Lauradublin Mar 24th, 2003 07:00 AM

Westin Francis Marion Hotel - Charleston - advice needed!

I have booked this hotel for an upcoming few days in Charleston but have since read some bad reviews - am wondering if I should change to something else. Anyone stayed there recently? Any advice?

andy Mar 24th, 2003 07:08 AM

Do a search here on Fodors- People that have stayed have said major negative things about this hotel===<BR><BR>Just put Francis Marion -Charleston in the search and hit South Carolina and then go== should bring up all sorts of reviews....

olivia Mar 24th, 2003 07:54 AM

Hi, I have stayed at the Francis Marion many time. It's no longer a Westin propery, but all the amenities are similar. I will say this about that hotel. It is old, it's certainly not shiny and new, but there is a charm about this hotel, that I think you will enjoy. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean and the staff is great. I had my wedding reception in the Gold Room of the Francis Marion and it could not have been more perfect. The bathrooms are a little small in the rooms, but that's no big deal unless you're dying for a large bathroom. If you're concerned about the room size, get a suite and you won't be disappointed.<BR><BR>I love this hotel. It's in a great location for walking in Charleston, and it has a history that is consistent with Charleston's charm. By the way, the last night I stayed there, they were shooting the movie &quot;The Notebook&quot; in the lobby. I don't know when it will be released.

Ferragamo Mar 24th, 2003 07:54 AM

Good Morning! We have stayed at the Vendue Inn for the last two times that we have been in Charleston. Lovely rooms, well appointed. Beautiful and very large bathrooms. You can walk to most everything. Charleston is so much fun and GREAT restaurants.<BR> Enjoy, Kris

NKerry Apr 29th, 2004 11:30 AM

I have just done the same as you, I have book the hotel and then read the bad reviews. Did you cancell and book elsewhere? I booked via traveladvisor and I will probably get charged a cancellation fee!

Let me know what you did.
Thanks

charlestonSC Apr 30th, 2004 06:56 PM

I live in Charleston and know of other great places to stay. Try the French Quarter or Charleston Place. My first choice would be French Quarter.

sandy985 May 5th, 2004 05:57 PM

I just came back from Charleston. We stayed during the weekend and many hotels had a 2 night minimum. The Charleston Place was booked and they recommended the Market Pavilion Hotel and I was not dissapointed. It was a wonderful experience and we were upgraded to the club level with the free breakfast out in the hall, what a treat. The hotel staff went out of their way to make our stay the best. I would definately stay there again. I would have also tried the Harbour View Inn and the French Quarter Inn if I had not been able to get a room at the Market Pavilion.