Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Western Trip Report Part 4--Mt. Rushmore & Custer State Park

Western Trip Report Part 4--Mt. Rushmore & Custer State Park

Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Western Trip Report Part 4--Mt. Rushmore & Custer State Park

Our cabin at the Game Lodge was nice enough but right on the main road so there was quite a bit of road noise, especially early in the morning, like 5-6 am. But it was nice to have a kitchen again so we could make some of our own meals.

Mt. Rushmore is very cool, the walk down to the sculptor's studio (or rather the walk back) is somewhat strenuous as the signs warn but what lousy lunch options in the cafeteria. We decided to drive over to Hill City, where we ate at the Mt. Rushmore Brewing Co. Somewhat better, but not something I'd go back to.

Crazy Horse was interesting, mostly because of the interpretive aspects to it. We drove out to the Badlands one day, taking the non-interstate rout southeast from Rapid City. It's marked as a scenic road but not very much so IMO. Badlands very interesting, glad I saw them but don't need a repeat visit.

The Iron Mt. and Needles Highways in Custer SP are great drives, but convinced me that I didn't want to go to the night lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore if we had to drive those back in the dark. Saw additional wildlife in Custer SP, bighorn sheep & wild turkeys. There was also a herd of goats that grazed around the State Game Lodge.

We had to move to the Game Lodge for our last night and stayed in the Eisenhower--way over-priced. We ate dinner in the Lodge twice and the food was good.

Finally, back to Billings.
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:58 AM

I agree that this is a 'been there done that' area. We stayed in a great cabin outside of Hill City. We did not eat at Mt. Rushmore except at the snack bar, where we paid high $ for a stuffed pretezel, which was surprisingly good. We enjoyed Badlands as well, we drove home to Arkansas thru Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri. it was a long 2 weeks but so much fun.
Sep 25th, 2004, 05:46 AM
cd

Thanks Ruth, as we did this trip a year ago I enjoyed revisting thru your report. We also stayed at the Game lodge and really enjoyed the dinner we had there. Unfortunatly, our room at the Lodge was not air conditioned and it was very hot so we requested one of the motel type rooms on the property that had AC. Not as quaint but cool. There are only two rooms in the Lodge that have air.Glad you had a great trip! We loved it.

Search this Thread