Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Western NC Mts. - Favorite places. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/western-nc-mts-favorite-places-399914/)

WannabeinaMontserrat Jul 23rd, 2008 06:46 AM

Western NC Mts. - Favorite places.

We travel to the Mts. often but most often around Boone, Asheville & Chimney Rock (mostly due to convenience, I guess), we seldom veer too far West. So, although I have been to a few places (Highlands, Cashiers, the N. Ga. Mts.) I am curious to see where other folks go. Keep in mind we're looking for cabins (no resorts please), not too many people, good hiking, waterfalls, etc. Nothing fancy & it can be 'out there', that is fine. A swimming hole that is kid friendly would be nice as well.

WannabeinaMontserrat Jul 23rd, 2008 09:59 AM

C'mon now, I know everybody doesn't just go to Asheville.

beach_dweller Jul 23rd, 2008 10:14 AM

that's kind of a tall order WannabeinaM,

you've already mentioned lots of my favorite places: near Asheville, near Boone/Blowing Rock, near Cashiers. About the only places I can think of are further west, Bryson City, Robbinsville near the Great Smokeys? I've only driven through the area, but it was awesome.

WannabeinaMontserrat Jul 23rd, 2008 11:30 AM

Kind of what I'm looking for, Murphy, Andrews, Bryson City, etc. I've only really driven through as well. Doesn't anybody stop there ???

Ackislander Jul 24th, 2008 03:09 AM

Guess what? The fact that lots and lots of people are not replying vastly increases your chance of getting a good place.

Life in this part of the mountains is pretty quiet. People go rafting and kayaking on the Chatooga, and they go hiking, but except for resorts like Cashiers, most people come to relax. It is much more peaceful than the Boone etc area.

Highlands is very pleasant, as you will know since you have been there, and it is a good base for exploring.

I would call the local Chamber of Commerce for a start.

Gretchen Jul 24th, 2008 04:28 AM

Yes, we have gone to Bryson City, Culhowee, area around Dillsboro, etc. It is lovely. You can swim in the river around Cherokee. We have camped in the campgrounds on the Cherokee reservation and there is rafting on those creeks, as well as fun trout fishing.

BWBlakely Jul 24th, 2008 05:13 AM

You need to take a good look at the Fontana Village. We've been going up there for over 20 years and the place is fantastic!

elsiemoo Jul 24th, 2008 05:32 AM

We've ridden the Great Smoky Mountains trains from Dillsboro and Bryson City, have stayed in the Best Western River Escape in Dillsboro, probably unlike any BW you've ever seen ... an awesome setting with rooms *hanging out* over the river, an immaculate place where they can't do enough for you. Love our NC mountains! :)

Ackislander Jul 24th, 2008 01:08 PM

Fontana Village!

Haven't been there since I was a kid!

Can't wait to look at it again!

rncheryl Jul 24th, 2008 03:45 PM

We like Waynesville, mainly the views from the balcony of our B&B and the friendliness of the locals. Also liked Hendersonville, seemed like a home town feel with a great Irish bar to retreat to.

starrs Jul 24th, 2008 08:20 PM

I'd say Waynesville too.
Sylva/ Dillsboro are awfully small.
What about Black Mountain?

Photodog Jul 25th, 2008 08:45 AM

Inner tube down Deep Creek in Great Smoky Mts Nat'l Park. Get there by going into Bryson City, NC and following the signs to the campground. Will pass by firms renting tubes. Get one with a wooden bottom in it.

Go to Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest (poet of Trees) outside of Snowbird, NC.

Could drive along the Cherohala Skyway.

Raft the Hiwassee River, no guide needed about 40 miles from Bryson City.

Follow US 64 in western NC also known as the Waterfall Highway.

Pickup the Blue Ridge Parkway and go either direction. The road is closed 18m north of Ashville for road construction however.

Visit Linville Gorge off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

WannabeinaMontserrat Jul 25th, 2008 11:36 PM

Looks like we are headed towards Dillsboro/Sylva. I frequent Black Mt. pretty regularly & I've done the 'Waterfall Trail' as well. Still open for additional suggestions for things to do, west of Asheville.

starrs Jul 25th, 2008 11:51 PM

I can help with restaurant recommendations but I don't know much more. My Asheville friend and I meet there for lunch because it's 1/2way between us. Pretty country, though.

WannabeinaMontserrat Jul 27th, 2008 05:33 PM

Looks like we've landed in Sylva. The wee lad will be able to enjoy a train ride on a 'real train' this week. I'll let everyone know what we think since we'll be there Wed.-Sun. Thx to all.

Gretchen Jul 28th, 2008 04:39 AM

The Railroad is going to close in Dillsboro I just heard a day or so ago. I don't know if it is "immediate" or not. It is apparently still going from Bryson City.

WannabeinaMontserrat Jul 28th, 2008 12:13 PM

We've got tickets for Thursday...I'm hopinmg they'll make it through the week. They having $$ problems ?

shelly_m Jul 28th, 2008 01:59 PM

My parents have a place outside of Bryson City and we head up every year for 10 days or so. It is beautiful there. You will love it.

Sylva and Dillsboro, etc., are just a quick 20ish minute drive from the Smoky Mountain Natl Park, Lake Fontana, and Nantahala Outdoor Center. I recommend checking out all of these areas.

NOC is a really cool place to visit, even if you aren't rafting. They have a few yummy restaurants to check out, a few shops, and a spot for the kids to stick their toes in the water.

http://www.noc.com/

My favorite place for tubing is at Deep Creek in the SMNP.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/deepcreek.htm

Enjoy your trip! We're leaving this weekend for our visit. Maybe we'll see you down by the creek! :)

WannabeinaMontserrat Jul 28th, 2008 02:03 PM

Thx shelly, we have 2 little ones (6 & 3) so no rafting for us, mostly hiking & creek playing.

rncheryl Jul 28th, 2008 02:10 PM

It's been a while, but there was a restaurant I believe in Dillsboro that was on the Natl Register of Historic Places, a very old place that had a killer breakfast, including GRITS and RED EYE GRAVY that I remember to this day. Also a really nice antique/good stuff store.