Western Massachusetts to Aspen, CO

Jul 8th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Original Poster
Western Massachusetts to Aspen, CO

Need to deliver a canoe to Aspen, CO, by or before Wednesday, 7/19/17.
Need to be back in the Amherst, MA, area by Friday night, 7/21/17.

Proposing a departure date of Sunday, 716/17.
Hoping to deliver the craft Tuesday, 7/18/17, if possible, just to be safe.

IF necessary, I could leave Massachusetts Saturday evening, 7/15/17.

I have free accommodations in Manhattan, KS, both ways.

Since I've never driven quite this far before and not in a westerly direction, do I have enough time to make my delivery deadline without cutting it too close?

Also, KS aside, I'd like to sleep in my car or using airbnb's. In other words, I want to spend little to nothing on accommodations. Any suggestions?

Same goes for food, CHEAP, but not junky.

And if there's anything else you can think of I'm all ears!

Thank you!!
Jul 8th, 2017, 06:59 PM
It sounds pretty stupid but I will bite. Plug it into goggle maps or mapquest and see the routing and hours. Add 50% to cover sleeping, gas, and necessary stops and see what you get as an answer. Sleeping in your car may be your only realistic option since you cannot judge where you will be at any one moment. Use Hoteltonight app to find cheaper hotels along the way with last minute offers.

Good luck - you will need it.
Jul 9th, 2017, 01:57 AM
Having done this from NC to Denver a number of times taking I70, it is a long and boring road.
Google taking you on 80 or 90 is essentially the same time and distance. on that road you have Chicago to deal with. On 70 you have St. Louis.
You don't have time to be picky about food--get off the interstate and eat. Get back on and drive. As for Airbb, I don't know if you can arrange it on the basis of just calling up an hour before.
Whether Manhattan KS is a stop for you is up for grabs. You may be there in the middle of the afternoon unless you aim for it to work. Do the mileage. You could make Aspen in one day from there.
Why doesn't your person at least meet you in Denver and take the canoe then. That cuts 7-8 hours RT off your back. Better, meet at MacDonald's in Limon.
Your trip is 2100 miles. Mine to Denver is 1600 and I do it in two days--one about 12 hours and the other 10. Speed limits are generous.
Jul 9th, 2017, 01:57 AM

Search this Thread