Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > West Yellowstone, MT & surrounding area activities in August
Notices

West Yellowstone, MT & surrounding area activities in August

Jun 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

West Yellowstone, MT & surrounding area activities in August

My boyfriend and I are planning a week-long trip to West Yellowstone, MT in August. We are staying at the Bar N Ranch and wanted to hear suggestions of the most popular attractions, any fun off-the-beaten path activities/sights to see/do, as well as the best outfitters/companies for white-water rafting, kayaking, horesback riding, mountain biking, etc. Oh, and where are the best hot springs to relax in? It would be nice to do a white-water rafting trip and then end the afternoon in some hot springs! We will be flying into Bozeman and renting a car to drive down to West Yellowstone but would prefer not to drive more than two hours for any sight-seeing or activities. I would describe us as being in our late twenties, athletic, and up for any outdoor fun! We are really looking forward to getting out of the city and being outdoors for the week!
Jun 21st, 2012, 09:32 AM

Start with the West Yellowstone tourism site.Then go to the www.nps.gov site for all the info on Yellowstone--there is a plethora of info to help you plan. It really works best if you can work out a rough itinerary and then post here for comments.

There is a good rodeo in Enis and there are often rodeos just south of West. Hot springs--you need to ask locally. You will drive more than 2 hours through Yellowstone--that's just the way it is--but you will be site seeing as you go so its worth it. There is a ranch south of West that has horseback riding. You can go to the nearby bird refuge. You could fly fish on the Henrys Fork of the Snake River.

So do some initial research and then post for comments.

Search this Thread