Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   West Yellowstone accomodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/west-yellowstone-accomodations-756910/)

SeeingtheSights Dec 15th, 2008 02:42 PM

West Yellowstone accomodations

This will be for next year (Aug or Sept.), but the prices for in-the- park accomodations are a bit steep, and I might need internet connection (and TV would be nice).

Anyway, West Yellowstone seems much more likely as I plan this, but most accomodations there seem all about the same.

Does anyone have any particular favorites there?

swisshiker Dec 15th, 2008 03:01 PM

We've enjoyed the Holiday Inn Sunspree several times. Big rooms, microwave, small refrigerator, and free wifi.

CKE2512 Dec 16th, 2008 06:47 AM

We stayed at the Comfort Inn West Yellowstone in September..it was clean, comfortable, and quite reasonable.

SeeingtheSights Dec 18th, 2008 11:09 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Any other suggestions?

In looking through the town through Tripadvisor and some of the pictures I found of the town, it seems like all the lodgings are sort of the same as far as looks or views. That being the case and since we won't be spending much time in the rooms, I'm thinking maybe just get the cheapest one?

Has anyone tried the Alpine Motel? It really does look like just a plain old motel, but the reviews are pretty good and it's cheap.

wyoming_gal Dec 18th, 2008 01:00 PM

Check out hibernationstation.com

We stayed there and it was really great and different from the chain hotels!

maj Dec 18th, 2008 01:52 PM

We like West Yellowstone. We stayed at the Holiday Inn also but you are right, it really doesn't matter where you stay. It is a very small town, mostly hotels, restaurants, a few gift shops, a small grocery, etc. No real views to speak of. We found everyone really friendly, not a tourist trap. The entrance to the park is right there and some of our best animal sightings were on our way in and out of the park since we left in the morning and came back around dusk.

mlm59 Dec 18th, 2008 04:55 PM

We stayed at the Alpine Motel in August 2007 and were very pleased. Like you, we just needed a clean place to sleep and this was a good choice. The owners were very nice and helpful. I don't think we could have done any better for the price we paid.

I agree that West Yellowstone is a much better value than staying in the park. It isn't that far to the park. We stayed in the park a few years ago and their most basic accomodations with a private bath are very overpriced, IMHO, not to mention the food.

CKE2512 Dec 19th, 2008 05:18 AM

We visited the park this past fall, and stayed outside each entrance..West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cody, and Jackson. (Should you travel to the Northern entrance, I do not recommend the Comfort Inn in Gardiner, as it was dirty, musty and very outdated).

While staying in West Yellowstone, I highly recommend Bullwinkles Saloon and Eatery for dinner..incredible food and great service!

Enjoy your trip!