Hotel for 25th anniversary in L.A.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for nice hotel ($250-$350) for about four days in April 2012. We are first time visitors to L.A. and want to be tourists and see the highlights. We enjoy culture, museums and just want to get a feel for the city. Plan to take a few taxi rides/bus tours to select sights and then move on to wine country. We realizes there is no "central" place to be and that a car would be better, but just want an overview and maybe do some shopping and have a nice meal.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:09 AM

I'm not sure about the rates in April, but Santa Monica is an excellent representation of the LA "thing"... the Pier and beach are iconic, you are close to Venice Beach, Malibu and just steps away from Santa Monica Place shopping and dozens of great restaurants... when we went, the Grayline tour of LA picked us up at the Hotel...

For our 25th, we stayed a the pricier Shutters on the Beach, but there were several other less expensive properties in the area... perhaps the next posters can find your rate... have fun and happy 25th...
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:28 AM

Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica is a beautiful place to stay. You can't beat the location. In the evening you can sip a cocktail in the lounge while listening to live music and wathcing the sunset.
Or, another excellent choice is the Malibu Beach Inn. I understand it's your first trip to LA, so you may very well prefer to be in the heart of LA. In that case, Hotel Sofitel is in the middle of everything and walking distance to restaurants, shops, and the Beverly Center Mall. Also look into these Beverly Hills properties: Beverly Wilshire, The Crescent, Montage, and the Beverly Hilton where you can have a mai tai in Trader Vic's.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! Garyt22, did you have some meals at Shuttters? Considering upping our budget, after all, it is our anniversary! And did you take any other tours?
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM

The restaurant at Shutters is One Pico and is rated highly... the night we wanted to go there, there was a private party so we went to The Lobster on the Pier... it was very good... we also ate at an Italian bistro on third where the entire street is blocked off as a shopping area and at the casual retaurant at Shutters... names escape me... however you can't be in a better area...

We were on the way to Hawaii, so we only took the one day tour through Grayline which stopped at 25 major attractions (AAA discount)... we then went back to the few areas (hollywood Blvd, Venice beach, Rodeo Drive) to reexplore...
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow, that all sounds great! Thanks again!
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Taxis to museums, griffith Observatory etc will get very pricey from Santa Monica...so add that in to your upped-budget.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Do you have a favorite hotel Traceys2cents? Have been looking at Omni and Sofitel. May prefer more of a citybreak before heading off to Napa.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 05:36 AM

LA is not a public transportation town, including taxis. You may not want to drive, but the trip has a lot more flexibility with a rental car.

I also enjoy the Crown Plaza hotel in Redondo Beach. Walking distance to many good restaurants. The hotel is less than a mile walk to downtown Hermosa Beach. A great setting. As with Santa Monica, you are a ways from the museums and many popular destinations.

I agree with the Shutters recommendations. It's a great hotel and location.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Within the budget I would consider Hotel Palomar, near UCLA. Lots of dining nearby if you don't mind a few blocks walk, and theres even dinner up at The Getty Cente if you're there on a Saturday (lunch on other days).

It's a 10 minute jaunt on the city bus to Getty Center, 12 minutes to get to downtown Santa Monica, and maybe 15 to The Grove, The LA County Museum of Art, The Petersen Auto Museum, The Radio/TV Museum in Beverly HIlls (Paley Center). A couple of classic movie palaces around the corner or you might catch a live performance at the Geffen Playhouse. Avis is right there if you're picking up a car to head to Napa, or you have the Flyawayshuttle to get you back and forth to LAX airport.

I still don't care for downtown (Omni) as a central spot for tourism even though it's improved, so I"d vote Sofitel if it came down to those two.

Nothing against staying in Santa Monica, but I do think you'd want to weigh out whether you plan to spend most of your time relaxing, dining, shopping, or actually getting out to explore. Without a car, I think Santa Monica presents its challenges, though I guess The Palomar really only puts you 15 minutes closer to things like Beverly Hills, Hollywood Walk of Fame, LacMa etc.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Shutters in Santa Monica is probably worth the splurge. We have not eaten at One Pico, but we have been several times to their less formal Ocean restaurant. It is very nice, with a lovely outdoor patio for lunch, looking directly at the beach. Great service and menu.

I wonder if the hotel has town car service to nearby locations? The website doesn't say, but I thought they did, last time we were there.

There is also a gorgeous hotel nextdoor to Shutters, but I don't know its name.

Be SURE to visit the Getty Center and/or the Getty Villa. Gorgeous properties with amazing art.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these suggestions---I have some more research to do!