A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NORTON Installation Contact 1844:853:3131 NORTON Tec*h sup0rt care 24by7
- 2 Where would you go in March?
- 3 RV Grand Canyon
- 4 Morning Activity No Car Downtown Poughkeepsie
- 5 10 day California Trip in July
- 6 I need help
- 7 In panic, messed up car rental reservation
- 8 Halekulani Hotel-Waikiki -anyone stayed there
- 9 New York in 5 days
- 10 Newport Beach restaurants
- 11 Take out for Christmas Dinner in Los Angeles
- 12 Please help w/ 7 day itinerary for Vegas & Arizona
- 13 Christmas Eve in Los Angeles
- 14 Expedia
- 15 Italian Provisions
- 16 Family Trip July 2018 Idaho to GNP
- 17 girls trip / oregon
- 18 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 19 Need Help BAD! San Fran, Yosemite, Castiloga-Where else?
- 20 Vacations in New Orleans
- 21 4 days in Miami
- 22 Los Angeles for Christmas
- 23 Ideas for 16th Birthday New York
- 24 Las Vegas TR
- 25 Moving from philly suburbs to St. Petersburg Florida area