Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wentworth by the Sea Marriott (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wentworth-by-the-sea-marriott-425105/)

peggym Apr 22nd, 2004 02:35 PM

Wentworth by the Sea Marriott

Hello--My husband and I are thinking about celebrating our anniversary (35 years) at Wentworth by the Sea. We only know about it because of its web site info and it looks really nice. We would appreciate any information--positive or negative--about it. We will be going in August. We really want a place just to chill out. If anyone has any other suggestions (we live in CT and are willing to travel this side of the Miss. River!). Thanks

GoTravel Apr 22nd, 2004 05:27 PM

Where is this?

bennie Apr 22nd, 2004 09:47 PM

What a coincidence - I just got back from a two night stay there and was about to post a report. The hotel is just lovely. After being closed for years they renovated and reopened last July. The public areas are elegant, the rooms were very nice if a tad small. The beds were triple sheeted, with a down blanket in between, lots of pillows - very comfy. The view from our window on the fourth floor was spectacular. We could see the ocean and the Little Harbor, saw fishing boats heading out in the very early morning. Lots of yachts tied up at the marina.

The spa was very nice (but I'm a real spa rookie so I have nothing to compare it to) Had a facial. The indoor pool was lovely, too early for the outdoor pool. But the outdoor pool looks very nice.

The food was very good for breakfast and we had room service ice cream sundaes one night while watching the Red Sox game - hard to beat that!!!. We had an absolutely great time and will definately be going back again - next time without the kids.

My only complaint was that the heating system in the room was ridicuously loud. It drowned out the tv and kept me awake at night. We brought it to the attention of the front desk who seemed to be aware that there is an issue. Other friends have stayed there and did not mention having a problem. They loved their stays also.

New Castle is a lovely little town. We found the prettiest public park with a playground and open space for the kids right down 1B. Take a walk through Odiorne State Park too. Its across the harbor from the Wentworth, on 1A in Rye. Portsmouth is a great town for shopping and Kittery is just over the bridge for outlet shopping.

bennie Apr 22nd, 2004 09:48 PM

And to answer GoTravel's question, the hotel is in New Castle New Hampshire, just outside of Portsmouth.

mcqueeney449 Apr 23rd, 2004 05:31 AM

I would agree with Bennie's assessment which is spot on for most of the rooms ... a bit small maybe but really lovely. However, there are a few rooms at one end of the building (not sure about the other end) which are very oddly laid out and not at all comfortable or romantic and the outer, slightly curved wall has big dramatic windows with a view of ... the parking lot. I think Wentworth would be a perfect place for an anniversary, just be sure and let them know when you reserve that you do not want an end room.

bennie Apr 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM

mcqueenie - both of my friends had corner rooms with king beds on the 4th floor that had two sets of windows. They both loved their rooms - talked about lying in bed looking out the windows at the ocean. We could see the ocean from bed too but we didn't have a corner room.

mcqueeney449 Apr 23rd, 2004 12:20 PM

yes bennie .. we saw those rooms and they looked great. Unfortunately the place was booked solid when we were there and we couldn't switch ... the room we had was right at the end (not the corner ... probably between two corner rooms) and was VERY strange and ackward (sp). It was sort of rectangular with the outer long wall curved a bit with windows. Windows would have been great if the ocean were out there but it was just the parking lot. Foot of the bed ended right at the windows and with the shades up you could wave at the folks getting into their cars. lol. TV couldn't be watched comfortably from bed at all, sitting in only chair put you about 1 foot from tv screen, lots of dead space at the other end of the rectangle, no tub in the bathroom ... just a weird room. We survived but would not go back unless we were guaranteed NOT to get one of those rooms.

mcqueeney449 Apr 23rd, 2004 12:21 PM

yes bennie .. we saw those rooms and they looked great. Unfortunately the place was booked solid when we were there and we couldn't switch ... the room we had was right at the end (not the corner ... probably between two corner rooms) and was VERY strange and ackward (sp). It was sort of rectangular with the outer long wall curved a bit with windows. Windows would have been great if the ocean were out there but it was just the parking lot. Foot of the bed ended right at the windows and with the shades up you could wave at the folks getting into their cars. lol. TV couldn't be watched comfortably from bed at all, sitting in only chair put you about 1 foot from tv screen, lots of dead space at the other end of the rectangle, no tub in the bathroom ... just a weird room. We survived but would not go back unless we were guaranteed NOT to get one of those rooms.

I'm not knocking the place at all ... I really do think it is very nice and most of the rooms must have great water views ... just wanted to note there are a couple odd rooms to avoid. :)

bennie Apr 23rd, 2004 05:00 PM

mcqueenie - oh I am sorry you didn't get a view. It was a real highlight of our trip. Seems like most of the rooms have views. So thanks for bringing the weird room to everyone's attention. Anyway I hope Peggym enjoys her stay if she decides to go.

mcqueeney449 Jun 16th, 2004 08:20 AM

topping for kidsnp

GettinBye Jul 27th, 2004 09:40 AM

Hi... I'm headed up to the Wentworth as well in August. I hope we both get nice weather. Also, on I-95 a few exits before Wentworth is a great little town called Newburyport. A very quaint seaside community with nice shops and good restaurants. I hope you have a great time!