Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Well, you guys said to let you know -- I am & we did (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/well-you-guys-said-to-let-you-know-i-am-and-we-did-401752/)

diart Feb 21st, 2004 03:47 AM

Well, you guys said to let you know -- I am & we did

"RE: Hi. I now live in Austin & I used to live in DFW. I need help from other Texans on where I can take my husband when I kidnap him.

This is Plan B. I'm just planning ahead but I want to locate some place to go to tell my husband some great news. Since he goes to school M-Th as well as works Full-time W-Sa I need to know where we can go when we only have from late Saturday night until Monday before noon. Flying would eat up too much time I'm afraid.

Does anyone have any suggestions of some ideallyc place where maybe hardly anyone else knows about but is open for rental and where they would allow us to stay just one or two nights? I would prefer to keep the drive down to 6 hours or less. Is there a fabulous cabin in the woods or a beach-front private cottage on the gulf?

I am pretty open about suggestions but I would like someplace a little away from Austin so it would feel more like a new or faraway destination. We like antique shops, funky restaurants, beautiful sights, museums, leisure activities. (Actually, my Plan A is some place like Bar Harbor, Maine or the S.C. coast.) Any ideas for Plan B?"

Well, as it turned out our anniversary was earlier this month & we were planning to do something -- a little getaway. Anyway, I had a reason to go to Colorado so I just booked us to go there. I let the staff at the hotel know my secret but they were the only ones who knew besides my dr. they were so accommmodating -- upgrading us to a luxury suite!! It was incredible. We were just going to be there for 2 full days & I spent all morning the first morning looking (with hubby in tow) for the perfect spot to tell him we are having a baby! Not as easy as it may seem!! I was sooo nervous too even tho I knew hubby would be very, very happy. (Now I know how men that are about to propose feel even when they know the answer is yes!) Anyway, when I could not decide on anywhere I said for us to go to the hotel & check in. I told myself if it was a great room that I would just tell him there. It was & I did and I am so glad I did it like that. We were both so teary I am glad we weren't in public. There is more to the story but I need to go to work now. Later. :-D

ARKANSASNURSE Feb 21st, 2004 06:46 AM

Congrats to you both, hears hoping for a healthy baby and uneventful pregnancy.
Check out the interesting baby names post. When is baby due?

travleis Feb 21st, 2004 06:50 AM

Congratulations on your great news!
Where in Colorado did you go, by the way?

ellen_griswold Feb 21st, 2004 07:21 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, and congrats! There is nothing sweeter than a baby...the joy is just beginning! Blessings to you all!
:)

emd Feb 21st, 2004 07:25 AM

I know there are cabins for rent around New Brunsfels and on the river there, we used to do that on weekends. But I don't have a specific contact, it was long ago. Beautiful in spring, wildflowers etc. But that may be too close to home for you.
Your posts bring back memories. I was so hyped up during my first pregnancy about how this was our last chance to travel and be free; I went everywhere and took my husband w/me til he finally got tired and said let's just stay home, which we did for the nesting period in the last trimester.

BrimhamRocks Feb 21st, 2004 08:11 AM

Congratulations on your good news! And what a nice way to tell your hubby, too.

diart Feb 21st, 2004 01:38 PM

Thanks everyone! We were in Denver but drove out passed Colorado Springs for a little while. It was nice. We are always running & going when we go on trips -- gotta see everything -- but this time we were able to relax & take our time (the tiredness has already kicked in).

I am due near the end of Sept. (Yea! It will be one of the oldest in its class!) I did check out the names and even posted a few. Some were pretty out-there. For some reason every name we have ever talked about started with an S. Kinda strange. Anyway, I appreciate all of the well wishes! Thanks again

Scarlett Feb 21st, 2004 05:06 PM

Wonderful!! Congratulations!! ((F))((F))

S names!! Scarlett for a girl and
Spencer for a boy :)

diart Feb 21st, 2004 06:37 PM

I love the name Spencer but my niece is named Spencer Noelle (due date was Christmas day)

diart May 28th, 2007 08:22 AM

I rarely use this message board unless I am planning something. I just realized that I never gave you guys an update.

Cecily Claire was born Sept. 22, 2004 healthy, beautiful, and perfect. I don't know how I got so lucky. I quit work (as planned) & have cherished every moment. We do not travel like before but it is not a big sacrifice. I thought that would be tough but then again we traveled a lot prior to starting a family because we knew it would be difficult after. We just are more creative & selective in our travels. Life is wonderful.

girlonthego May 28th, 2007 10:09 AM

Congrats!!!

escargot May 28th, 2007 08:09 PM

Congrats and love the name !

diart May 29th, 2007 03:32 PM

Thank you, guys!