Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Well, So Long...I'm off to See The World...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...or at least a bit of it, LOL!

My dear friend CAPH stated a Bon Voyage thread on the Europe forum which was kind of her. The kind people over there helped me prepare for this trip, but the U.S. forum is "home" and you guys have helped me too. You've watched this trip evolve and have lended support during some of its bumpy patches -- Thank you so much! Cheers to you!

As typical of any trip, there are certain routines. Mine have included making countless lists, typing up travel info for the sons, cursing at my suitcase, and cleaning the house -- always starting a small little project, knowing full well that I won't be able to finish before I leave. And then there is always a bit of procrastination -- that's why I'm posting here, now, instead of kicking my luggage!

Then there is the ritual of the DH's boss offering to pay for our tickets if he would only take his vacation another time. The answer is always "No", but the exchange takes place nonetheless. Life is too short...seize the moment and all that good stuff.

Over the weekend my DH finally asked "So what exactly are we doing in London?" I paused a bit and said, "Nothing, really." He gave me that *are you kidding?* look and in turn I exclaimed, "Nahhh, we're doing lots of stuff!!" and rambled on so much that he needed a nap.

I know there are others who are heading off to see their little piece of the world...Kopp, have a wonderful six weeks. I hope your packing is going smoother than mine, LOL!

So, in these jubilant summer months of July and August who else is heading off to "See The World"? And do you have any trip preparation quirks?

Happy Travels! Peace to all!

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Have a wonderful time. God bless. Relax and enjoy this trip - leave your other worries at home.

Good one with your husband! I bet the look on his face was priceless!

Safe travels.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Bon Voyage and have a Happy Wonderful Trip!!
You will be missed but I look forward to the Trip Report!!

Scarlett
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:53 AM
GoTravel

Godspeed!

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM
GoTravel

P.S. What did you decide to wear on the plane?

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
P_M

YIPPEE, the trip is finally happening!! I'm so thrilled this has come together for you. Bon Voyage, have a blast, and I'll look forward to your return.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
P_M

GoTravel, she'll wear her pink leather pants, of course!!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Have a great trip!

I laughed pretty hard over your pretrip routines...sounds way too familiar! LOL!

We leave this weekend for just over a week to central Oregon...Sunriver, to be exact. I am frantically making my lists right now too and trying to get organized to go. In about 2-3 days it will kick into panic mode
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Have a wonderful trip, seetheworld! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM

STW - and a grand bon voyage to you, too! Just exactly how much of the world are you going to be seeing?

Had to laugh at your hubby's comments about what you'll be doing. On a trip to Florence, my dad asked, "Why do you want to go there anyway? You can get Italian food at Olive Garden," lol!

And yep, we're in the panic mode for packing. Six weeks is a long time, especially when I look at that little suitcase!

Happy travels, y'all!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Safe travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:51 AM
emd

Whew, I am just glad you are done w/the packing!!

Have fun!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Have a wonderful trip!

DH and I leave for New Orleans on Wed to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. It is only for four days but as my parents & my inlaws will be watching the kids, I have to get all of their things packed as well (they are 3 & 5). I work part time and like a fool I am going in to the office tomorrow - I have plenty of vaca time and wish I had used it now!! I'm also cleaning like a madwoman as my parents will be coming back to our house w/the kids & I'm hosting a playgroup the week we return. Boy am I going to enjoy this trip!!!

Hope everyone on their way to various corners of the world has safe, relaxing and fun filled adventures!!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

I'll miss you all too, especially over the next two Fridays!

LOL ~ Pink leather? No, I'm afraid that I'm a little too "fusty" for that. I loooove that word!

I found a cute sportswear outfit by Ralph Lauren in a knit fabric, soft and comfy. It's black, of course. The pants flair a bit at the ankle and the jacket zippers and I'll wear a white tee underneath. It is rather stylish with my new black Pumas, which I will change out for sandals before arriving at the hotel.

Kopp, London is a bit of the world we have been to before, but Portugal is a new place for us. Truthfully, while I have read lots on the place, I have no real plans in my mind. It will be a true adventure for us -- just love the idea that my DH and I will be figuring stuff out together.

Of course I will write a trip report and I won't leave out a single detail, lol.

emd, I hate to break it to you...I'm not completely packed yet!

And there is yet the "dancing around the suitcase" ritual that my DH and I will perform - a circle like prance around the bags. This is when we think we are clever by removing and item or two from the suitcase and then proceed to sing each other's praise and pat each other on the back for lightening out load!

Yes, I will miss you all too!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM

You will, you know (miss us!)
Have a GREAT time! I'm just tickled pink that you are going on this trip!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM
emd

seetheworld, that is NOT what emd wanted to hear.

Now, GET PACKING!!

Just close your eyes and throw some stuff in the suitcase and zip it!!

(hahahaha, joke is on me- I was up til 3 am packing before I left at 8 am for the airport for Japan in April!)
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Don't forget about the dust under the sofa - you must clean that before you leave. And after that, what about that closet you have been meaning to clean out for a year.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM
GoTravel

Tres chic mon ami!

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Gail, at this delicate point in time, I stay OUT of my closet for fear that I may need to add something to the suitcase. The sofa dust has already been attended to my dear.

Thanks GoT.

mms and snowrooster...wishing you great trips!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Bon Voyageeee! Enjoy a wonderful trip!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -