Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Welcome any suggestions! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/welcome-any-suggestions-588352/)

kwilly Feb 5th, 2006 07:36 AM

Welcome any suggestions!

My wife and I are planning a trip with our 27 yo son for this June 2006. Long stroy short. It is a celebration trip for his graduating from medical school. It is also mom and dad's time to be with him before he goes away for his residency.
We want to make this a mememorable trip. Our preference is western US. Possibly a day or so of fly fishing, great scenery, some active things to do (hiking is good but not the marathon stuff!)
We have about 7-10 days to plan for probably during the first 3 weeks of June.
We did a trip that hit San Fran, Napa/Sonoma, Monterey/Carmel, and Yosemite a couple of years ago with him so we want a different area.
This is a great site and I know many of you will have suggestions. I look forward to hearing some ideas.
By the way I planned a 7 day trip with our other son and his wife last September based mostly on suggestions from members in here. We hit Sedona, GC, Page, Bryce, Zion, and Vegas. It was fantastic.
I will appreciate any and all input. Thanks.
kwilly

GoTravel Feb 5th, 2006 07:47 AM

When my cousin graduated from UC Berkley with his PhD in Bioengineering (geez, I can't even spell the word), his parents met him in California and did the same type of vacation.

I can't give you any specifics but just wanted to say that it created wonderful memories for all of them and they had a great time.

TheWeasel Feb 5th, 2006 07:54 AM

When I read the part about fly-fishing, the first thing that came to mind was Montana. Then Wyoming. Both fit your other requirements as well, especially if you go to Glacier or Yellowstone.

socialworker Feb 5th, 2006 07:56 AM

Congratulations to all of you!! I also have a 27 y.o. son, whom we took to Italy right after college graduation in 2000. It was a wonderful trip and remains my one of my fondest memories of a European trip. Have a great time.

Re:your plans for your western trip, my husband and son went on a white-water afternoon excursion when we were in Aspen one summer. Even though the trip was for those w/little or no experience, I passed it up. They, however, had a *great* time and we have a wonderful 11X14 picture on our wall w/them in the raft, water splashing all around them, with both of them grinning from ear to ear!!

cmcfong Feb 5th, 2006 08:21 AM

I suggest you consider Montana/Glacier and Idaho/Sawtooths, Stanley, Salmon area. What a wonderful way to refresh your relationship with your son and make memories for a lifetime. Congratulations!

kwilly Feb 5th, 2006 08:32 AM

Thanks for the quick comments already.
Yes we do want to make it one we don't forget.

Socialworker:We thought of Europe but our son went there for a month long trip the year before he entered med school...it was his reward for getting in! Hopefully after his residency HE can take mom and dad there..haha!
Do oyu know where the rafting was that your son and husband did?

TheWeasel: Yellowstone, Montana, Glacier, sound good. Have been to Yellow and Grand Tetons but was when kids were like 13-15. Do oyu know any specifc places for flyfishing or rafting there?

Thanks and keep the ideas coming!

kwilly Feb 5th, 2006 08:35 AM

cmcfong
Thanks as well. I will do some research on the areas you mentioned also. Never been into Idaho or Montana.
kwilly

TheWeasel Feb 5th, 2006 08:54 AM

kwilly - my knowledge of flyfishing is limited to watching "A River Runs Through It", so I can't give you any suggestions. I just thought that that area is perfect for flyfishing. I actually thought about adding Idaho to the list after posting, so I'm glad somebody else suggested it.

tovarich Feb 5th, 2006 09:47 AM

One of our most memorable trips we made was from Jasper to Banff (Columbia icefields) in Alberta Canada. We then went to Glacier nat. park in Montana.Lovely.Greetings from Belgium and congrats. for your son.Paul

socialworker Feb 5th, 2006 10:48 AM

Hi kwilly--the rafting trip was in Aspen, CO and they sold the tickets in a sporting goods shop in the center of town, where a shuttle took the participants to the launching area. I tried looking it up but there were so many that came up, I did not know which it was. I do know that they have those kinds of trips in many other areas, like on parts of the Rio Grande up into New Mexico, as well as many other locales. I would just see if white water rafting is one of the activities in the place where you ultimately decide to go....Have fun!!

utahtea Feb 5th, 2006 11:12 AM

My first thought was Yellowstone and Tetons.

I'll also second the Banff-Jasper National Parks in Canada...but this is not the US as you requested.

If you really liked the GC, Page, Bryce, Zion trip, then maybe a week in Moab, Utah to visit Arches, Canyonlands and also add Capitol Reef. Rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle and see some remote country. There are also a varity of rafting trips in the area.

Utahtea

TahitiTams Feb 5th, 2006 11:28 AM

HI..
Congrat's to your son and you must be so proud and I think since you have already done Napa and Sedona maybe fly up to Seattle stay a day or two and then rent a car and stay in Coeur d'Alene and fly fish and hike and stay there for 4-6 days and then at your leisure wander back.. They have a wonderful lake for skiing and great golf courses and of course the scenery is stunning.
Have Fun!

cmcfong Feb 5th, 2006 12:25 PM

kwilly, if you are interested in fishing in Idaho in the Stanley area contact Sawtooth Fishing Guides. For rafting contact www.whiteottter.com
It is an amazing area, beautiful, not terribly crowded and great options, hiking, biking, riding, fishing, rafting, birding......