Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weekend trip new NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weekend-trip-new-nyc-255061/)

chris Sep 1st, 2002 06:54 PM

Weekend trip new NYC

Anyone have any recommendations for romantic weekend trip within driving distance of NYC? I don't want to go anywhere too far, as I would rather not take any time off from work. I am hoping to to do this trip in October.

Linda Sep 2nd, 2002 01:50 AM

Rhineback, NY - there are lots of B & B's and you can have dinner at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park.....or Woodstock, NY...or the North Fork of LI, where you can visit wineries...or Cape May, NJ, which is a beach community but quite lovely in the autumn...or the Poconos, Pennsylvania....

sara Sep 2nd, 2002 03:58 AM

Lake PLacid, NY. Last week of September and the two weeks of October will be so gorgeous there that you will want to come back every year at least. Stayin in Mirror Lake Inn will add more to your romantic weekend

chris Sep 2nd, 2002 05:38 PM

Thanks for the replies.<BR>Sara - I hate to ask a dumb question, but do you know how long of a drive it is from NYC to Lake Placid?

lawren Sep 2nd, 2002 05:58 PM

from NYC Lake Placid is approximately 4 hours.<BR><BR>We just came back and we loved the area and the Mirror Lake Inn. They have a mid-week spa package to die for.<BR><BR>www.MirrorLakeInn.com<BR><BR>Don't forget to have dinner at Nicola's.<BR><BR>L

Ben Sep 2nd, 2002 05:59 PM

Chris, I second Sara's Lake Placid recommendation. The Mirror Lake Inn is as romantic as they come. Lake Placid is about a 5 1/2 drive from NYC (it's 2 1/2 hours north of Albany, where I live). If you have Columbus Day off, it would be a great destination for the 3-day weekend.<BR>BAM

chris Sep 2nd, 2002 06:01 PM

I forgot about Columbus Day! Great idea - i am very excited! Hope I can get a reservation.

chris Sep 2nd, 2002 06:38 PM

Mirror Lake Inn is booked. :(<BR>Any other ideas? The North Fork wineries sound interesting - any recommendations? Thanks for the help!

lawren Sep 2nd, 2002 06:45 PM

Oh I'm sorry about Mirror Lake Chris! It sure is wonderful.<BR><BR>You could do with Linda's suggestion and go with Rhinebeck. The Beekman Arms is a fabulous and romantic bed & breakfast. It is the oldest Inn in NY.<BR><BR>The Culinary Institue is in/around New Paltz. Check and see if you can reserve seating as it is well worth it!<BR><BR>If you are indeed coming from the city you can take the MetroNorth there. Leaves should be turning then...if they don't just drop off the trees from the drought that is.<BR><BR>Good Luck.<BR>L

lawren Sep 3rd, 2002 03:23 AM

Oh I'm sorry about Mirror Lake Chris! It sure is wonderful.<BR><BR>You could do with Linda's suggestion and go with Rhinebeck. The Beekman Arms is a fabulous and romantic bed & breakfast. It is the oldest Inn in NY.<BR><BR>The Culinary Institue is in/around New Paltz. Check and see if you can reserve seating as it is well worth it!<BR><BR>If you are indeed coming from the city you can take the MetroNorth there. Leaves should be turning then...if they don't just drop off the trees from the drought that is.<BR><BR>Good Luck.<BR>L