Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Weekend spa trip within 3 hrs of Charlotte, NC?

Old Nov 28th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm celebrating my 30th birthday and want nothing more than a relaxing, calm weekend. Indulgent food, spa and scenery. More specifically: comfortable beds, luxurious bathrooms and sauna/steamroom are a must.

My first thought was Grove Park Inn but the prices are absurd. It's a gorgeous place but I've been wonderful hotels before and never shelled out $160 for a 50 minute basic massage. I've seen good reviews for Westglow in Blowing Rock? I like the all inclusive concept but worry that it might be a little to small and "Bed & breakfast" for me.

My other thought was maybe the coast - Wilmington or one of the beaches south of OBX... I'd love something near the ocean but doing a quick glance, it doesn't seem like there are many resorts that cater to the spa crowd.

Charleston and Myrtle were on my list as well but with my type A personality, I'm sure I'd feel obligated to go "do" something - take a tour, walk around, shop, etc. and I am really trying to make this as mellow as possible.

Thanks!
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 08:00 AM

You are correct - Grove Park is way pricey - shoot you could fly to Vegas for the weekend. I would imagine there are some spa options in teh Pinehurst area as well or take a look @ http://www.selectregistry.com/ Also, in your backyard, Ballantyne also has a spa operation & they oftentimes have deals as well.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Happy Birthday.

On the coast I recommend the Sanderling Inn and Spa in Duck.

I have been to both the GPI and Westglow. I find GPI very overpriced for the services, but the facility is fantastic. A great way to experience the spa is to book any service and you automatically have spa access for the day. Westglow is very small and customer oriented. I like it quite a bit. Easy access to Blowing Rock if you get "cabin fever".

Mid state take a look at Umstead Spa near RDU. WOW!
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM

Since you mention RDU, I would imagine the Siena in Chapel Hill might have a spa?
OP, why not just do it right here in Charlotte and have a great dinner, etc.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

SAnParis2 - I was at the Ballantyne in June for a mini spa "staycation". Beautiful & scored a great deal. Unfortunately

Cmcfong - Unfortunately the Sanderling is closed for renovations until Spring 2013 I will check out Umstead

Gretchen - I will check out the Siena....I've done the Charlotte thing a few times, turning 30 makes me wanna get away!
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Wanna' get away ? I'd look around Charleston also, I am sure there are some properties that would fit your criteria there as well.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 07:47 AM

I SO agree with you. She said she didn't want to be tempted, but it is just a happening place these days.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 09:31 AM

I know there's a nice spa in the Francis Marion hotel. It's not a luxury accomodation but I like it and the spa is excellent. But it wouldn't be one of the Rancho Whatever-o spa stays like rich people do when they need to decompress
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Grovepark. Sorry, but it is so worth the splurge. I go at least once a year for a treat. It is the best spa I have ever been too.