Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weekend Romantic Getaway - Jackson Hole, WY vs Charleston, SC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weekend-romantic-getaway-jackson-hole-wy-vs-charleston-sc-965274/)

chitowntraveler Feb 1st, 2013 11:13 AM

Weekend Romantic Getaway - Jackson Hole, WY vs Charleston, SC

I know these are very different locations, but I would like to go somewhere I have never been before and I know people who enjoy both. My bf is letting me choose the trip and I am at a loss. We are going to be traveling the end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

These seem to be the best two options I have been recommended that is not Cali, Florida or any of the east coast. Open to other ideas and thoughts on these two. Thanks.

PaulRabe Feb 1st, 2013 12:17 PM

I'm a person who had a wonderfully romantic time in both of these places -- and would do so again if given a chance. Depending on the person, I could recommend either for a honeymoon spot.

Weather will be better in Charleston, as a cold front could come through Yellowstone and force you to spend time inside -- which, for a romantic weekend, may not a BAD thing ;^)

But it really comes down to is this: what do YOU find more romantic? Southern charm with history and great food? Or beautiful scenery, other-worldly sights, and tons of wildlife practically at your door-step? Nobody can answer that question but YOU.

Seriously, what I'd recommend is this:
Imagine yourself with your beau, slowly walking down the streets of Charleston, having a candlelight dinner, then returning to a quiet B&B. Then imagine yourself with your beau walking through a series of geyser and hot springs, then seeing a moose walking in front of you, then returning to your rustic lodge room. Then ask yourself which fantasy makes you feel more romantic.

Don't worry -- you two will love EITHER choice.

Dukey1 Feb 1st, 2013 12:33 PM

are you looking for romance or romance on a grand scale?

StantonHyde Feb 1st, 2013 06:58 PM

Just remember that Jackson is best middle of Sept to the end. By oct, you could start getting winter. In Sept is it amazing to be hiking in the Tetons and hear the elk bugling!!! The aspen are gorgeous. Jackson is such a fun town with awesome restaurants. I love going there. But not if it is going to be cold!!

chitowntraveler Feb 2nd, 2013 08:00 PM

I have heard Jackson Hole is going to be dead that time of year and weather is so-so. Do you agree? Would we cancel this location because of it. I think we have chosen that over Charleston for now....

If we do go there, places to stay and activities to suggest? Hiking, horses, etc? No skiing or white water due to the season but want to know what else we can do.

starrs Feb 2nd, 2013 08:21 PM

I would definitely do Jackson WY and the Grand Tetons National Park. It is an absolutely amazing place. September will be magnificent.

How long is this trip. You say "weekend" but how many days exactly? Fly in Friday and fly out Sunday? The amount of time you have will make a big difference.

Gretchen Feb 3rd, 2013 06:26 AM

Well, just to put another log on the fire, have you been to Santa Fe? I think that could be very romantic. although, I still stick with Charleston.
I LOVE Jackson Hole. There are float trips, horseback riding, hiking, stagecoach cookouts.