COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Weekend in Seattle--Is Olympic Park worth it?

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Weekend in Seattle--Is Olympic Park worth it?

My wife and I are weekending in Seattle in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of spending first day in the city, and then visiting Olympic Park on second day (we need to catch a flight that night at 11:30pm). I'm really interested in the western coast beaches/tidepools. Is this an easy daytrip (especially the ferry w/ car), or would you just stay in the city for both days? Are there any smaller parks closer that are reasonably nice?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM

It'll take you a good 4 hours each way to get out to the coastal part of the park so while it can be done, it makes for a long day with lots of driving.

A day trip to Whidbey Island or even just a half day trip up to Snoqualmie Falls might be better given how little time you have here.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM

NWW is correct. There is plenty to keep you busy in Seattle and nearby. In Seattle, Golden Gardens and Carkeek Park are both on Puget Sound. Searching "tide pools," I found this:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp...park=saltwater
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM

Definitely "worth it" but I think you need at least a few days to make it worthwhile to go that far from Seattle.

You could go to Discovery Park in Seattle. It's right on the water.

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Franky, check out the new Olympic Sculpture Park on the north end of the downtown Seattle waterfront (not to be confused with the Olympic National Park over on the peninsula). And do not miss the Pike Place Market, Seattle's version of the Grand Bazaar. Get down into it's lower levels, places some locals don't even know about.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 04:19 AM

Olympic National Park is a gem, but you don't have enough time especially if you want to see Rialto Beach and the tidal pools. You need 2 full days at the park and a day for traveling back and forth.
In Seattle proper you need less than 1 day. Pike's Market, the Seattle Museum and a walk around Pioneer Square is all worth seeing(forget about the Needle and the underground Tour). The 2nd day can be spent as follows: Drive north to the locks and salmon run, then drive north to the Boeing Factory for a tour. If you have time take the ferry to Whidbey Island, have dinner there and take the ferry back.