Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weekend in Plymouth, MA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weekend-in-plymouth-ma-1672957/)

Lexma90 Oct 17th, 2019 05:06 PM

Weekend in Plymouth, MA

Ever since we discovered several years ago that our Midwest-based family has some Mayflower ancestors, one of my cousins has been saying that we should have a family reunion in Plymouth (MA, of course) 2020. It now seems that a critical mass of "yesses" has been met, so it's a real possibility, for three days in early fall next year. Spouse and I formerly lived in Boston, a while back, and I would pick other places in New England for a family reunion, but I kind of understand the draw. Plus, personally, I love Plimoth Plantation and could go there weekly. Cousin has found a motel in Long Beach, which seems like a nice spot and good for family time. Family members range from 21-81 years old, some active and a couple who can't walk very far. It will probably be a group of about 20.

Probably one day we'll go to Plimouth Plantation, including the Wampanoag Homesite; I'm sure there will be the obligatory visit to the rock, some will want to go on the ship. Maybe whale-watching or simply a boat ride.

Any other suggestions? I've thought about putting together a drive to the other local towns where our ancestors lived. And restaurant suggestions? At least one night should be a lobster dinner, and perhaps one night someplace a little nicer (but not high-end). Any places, including casual, where we could make reservations for our group?

And any suggestions for avoiding the crowds, other than to not go to Plymouth in the year of the 400th anniversary?

emalloy Oct 18th, 2019 02:48 AM

The Mayflower 2 is finishing up its rehabilitation at Mystic Seaport in Mystic, CT right now and is due to sail back to Plymouth next spring in anticipation of the festivities for the 400 th. It is in the water now and the masts are stepped, but there is more work to be done, the rigging, sails, ballast balance, etc. They might be doing tours of the ship when you visit. When you consider that this last storm had 12 foot waves in Long Island sound, it looks pretty small to venture across the Atlantic.

Otherwise, take a day trip to the Cape, go deep sea fishing, whale watching, visit some other historic/scenic sites like John Adams homestead in Quincy, or coastal towns like Scituate.

Vttraveler Oct 18th, 2019 03:37 AM

Visit cranberry bogs?

World's End in Hingham is a lovely spot for those who can do longer walks.
World's End | Hingham, MA | The Trustees

I hadn't been focused on the 2020 celebrations, but I would like to see the Mayflower II when it returns to Plymouth. I should get to work going over our family charts; we have 3 Mayflower ancestors and I don't know much about where the family lived over the first years in MA.

Lexma90 Oct 20th, 2019 05:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, they will be helpful. And Scituate is where some of our ancestors moved to after Plymouth, so that would be a good choice for that.

HappyTrvlr Oct 20th, 2019 03:17 PM

We always have a great sea food lunch at East Bay Grill when we are in Plymouth.
Another place we eat is Surfside Smokehouse. Don’t let the name confuse you. We order their delicious lobster rolls, available in two sizes, and enjoy sitting on their deck , looking across the water at Plymouth Rock.
For a more upscale dinner, Rye Tavern a little south of Plymouth is nice.