Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weekend in New Orleans- Celebrating Fun 30th Bday- Where to? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weekend-in-new-orleans-celebrating-fun-30th-bday-where-to-769324/)

shormk2 Feb 24th, 2009 11:39 AM

Weekend in New Orleans- Celebrating Fun 30th Bday- Where to?

I'm surprising my fiance with a trip to New Orleans, March 6-8th, for his 30th birthday! Several of his friends are also flying in for the occassion as a surprise. We've never been to New Orleans and I am SO excited to go! Yes, I know it may be dirty and there may be crime- it's a city! It's a party city at that. It's a city with history, charm, food, and more and I can't wait to take it all in.

Our agenda thus far: Fly in early Friday morning from CLT. We are staying at the Maison Dupuy (I know a lot of people don't love it, but I got a good deal for us and I've had friends who have stayed there relatively recently and said it was a nice hotel). After we meet up with two or three other guys (all single and 30) who are flying in as well, I'm planning on lunch and a pitcher of beer at Acme Oyster house. After lunch, a walk down Bourbon Street over to Pat O'Briens for a hurricane outside. We have no plans for the remainder of Friday- except to soak up the local flavors. We'll probably meander back to the hotel for naps and then out and about to dinner. We've been told Molly's Irish Pub on Toulouse and Tejague's on Decatur are also full of fun, but we need a casual place for dinner (it can be pricey, but no jackets for this trip). Thoughts?

Saturday, I intend on waking up early with my fiance and letting the other boys sleep. I thought we could catch the St. Charles Street Car down to Camelia's for breakfast and then make our way back to the quarter. I've read enough to know that we should stop by Southern Candy Makers to pick up some pralines, etc to bring back home with us. Maybe people watch around Jackson Square and just enjoy some time together.

Saturday evening, we have dinner reservations at The Bourbon House- I know it isn't Commanders or Broussard's, but we wanted somewhere good, again no jackets this trip for the boys, and we like restaurants with good bourbon lists. Pre-dinner, I was thinking of doing cocktails at the Carousel Bar in the Monteleone or at the Napolean House.

I've heard Napolean House has an excellent mufellatta though- so should Saturday lunch be at the Napolean House for mufellata's (and only do cocktails at the Carousel Bar) or should we walk down to Central Grocery for lunch?

Of course, after dinner, it is out and about the quarter for some music and fun... where can we hear great music in the French Quarter?

Sunday, our flight out is at 2pm; thus, Cafe Du Monde to pick up beignets to eat as we walk along the river, no? I've read conflicting accounts on Cafe Du Monde- some say it is too touristy and to just go to Beignet's... other friends who are from New Orleans say to go anyway because it is an institution... thoughts?

I am so excited about this trip- mainly, I'm excited because it will be a surprise for my fiance and his friends will be able to join us. If you can't tell, we eat and drink well when on vacation, but I still want to get a real feel for New Orleans. Therefore, if you have any suggestions, I will gladly take them... Thanks!

SAnParis2 Feb 24th, 2009 12:08 PM

I have stayed there many times & although the locale is a bit close to Rampart, never had a problem. You may want to explore the restaurant at the hotel - Dominique's. It is a bit of a local secret & excellent. Rather than repeat myself, I'll top my recent trip report from NOLA, you seem to be looking for things similar to what we enjoy. Happy MARDI GRAS !!

SAnParis2 Feb 25th, 2009 06:31 AM

In lieu of (or in addition too, if you want to get sloshed) try a hand grenade, they are back up & running.

gyppielou Feb 25th, 2009 06:41 AM

Since the Vaughns dates don't line up maybe go to a fundraiser to see Kermit Ruffins

http://www.southernrep.com/season0809/bash.php

shormk2 Feb 25th, 2009 08:25 AM

The show looks awesome! We may have to check it out- Thanks! Is the hand grenade also at Pat Obrien's? Is that what you meant- in lieu of the Hurricane? I'm pretty sure these boys are looking to tie more than a few on :-)

november_moon Feb 25th, 2009 11:13 AM

Cafe du Monde is a New Orleans institution, so I'd definitely go. People complain about the rude staff, but we have never had any issues. I don't know about going there for breakfast though - I generally need something more nutritious and long-lasting than a donut in the morning. When we are in NO, we usually find that Cafe du Monde hits the spot in the afternoon or right around midnight.

SAnParis2 Feb 26th, 2009 05:11 AM

For breakfast we usually do Cafe Beignet or the Royal Tea Room (both on Royal). There is a also a little German place that has great breakfasts, The Jager Haus on Conti. Hand grenades are on a corner of Bourbon & come in a green, dumb-bell shaped plastic 'cup'. They also have a 'mascot', you'll find them, just walk down Bourbon.

bkluvsNola Mar 3rd, 2009 11:28 AM

Great itinerary and great attitude to boot. You'll have a fantastic time I know. One comment, it's definitely worth it to visit Cafe Du Monde. You don't want to miss it.

Wayne Mar 3rd, 2009 01:26 PM

For a more complete breakfast, try La Madeleine, just off the right front corner of the St. Louis Cathedral.

MiamiBeachMomma Mar 3rd, 2009 02:40 PM

For good music stay off of Bourbon and head to Frenchmen Street, you can walk there from in the FQ.
http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...menstreet.html
Check out link for a list of places to hear great music!!

One more chime in on Cafe Du Monde - stop by more than once - so delicious!!! Every time we were nearby - we cruised over for a snack!!! It is crowded!! It seems there is no real line for a table, so walk around and see who is about to leave.

BetsyinKY Mar 3rd, 2009 04:13 PM

Just an FYI, I am pretty certain that the La Madeleine location in Jackson Square, next to the St. Louis Cathedral, has closed. I don't think it reopened after Katrina.