Weekend in Atlanta Georgia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this isn't duplicated. If so, sorry.

I'd appreciate some help.
My husband has a slight disability so a lot of walking is a problem. But, we can certainly walk some.
We're interested in a reasonably priced hotel that has transportation (Atlanta's subway) available close by. Also, if there was reasonably close access to those hop-on -hop-off type of tours, that would be helpful.
We are arriving on March 26th for two nights and since this is our first trip to the city, would like to see the major sights.
I thank you in advance.
Marsha

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Hi Marsha. This may not help you much but I would suggest that you narrow down the area you want to be in before any other decision. My suggestion is Buckhead. It tends to have the more upscale hotels. Two very nice malls close by, and the metro has a stop at one of them. Think it's at Phipps, but may be Lenox...can't remember which. I don't know about the sightseeing trolley.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Wow...Atlanta is a tough place to see via the subway (MARTA). Everyone drives here. I would look into the Gray line or similar tours if you are wanting to see various locales within the city. There is a MARTA stop by Lenox Mall, but still quite a walk for someone disabled. The city is quite spread out. The VIP tour at CNN downtown is sort of interesting, Stone Mountain (east of the city) is something to view, the botanical gardens are OK, and the Cyclorama at Grant Park is "different/unusual". Avoid Underground Atlanta and The World of Coke---->worthless. There are some very good restaurants in the city, but the most reasonable ones are in the Midtown/Virginia Highlands area with the pricey places more in Buckhead.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both.
So renting a car would be a good idea? Usually, when visiting a "big" city, it is recommended to take public transportation and not bother with a car. Parking problems and just getting lost are the main reasons. But, if a car is the right approach we can do that.
Again, thank you.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Well, I'm not sure renting a car would be a good idea either, though it would definitely allow you some flexibility. I was thinking more, pick a place to stay, perhaps near Buckhead, and then take some pre-arranged (like Gray line) tours. This is a crazy, I mean REALLY crazy place to drive, though less so on the weekends. Traffic is congested, roads don't go E - W or N - S, and they change names frequently. But, there isn't one area with 'most of the attractions' [such as the Riverwalk in San Antonio] so you have to travel around to see the sights.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:27 PM

The JW Marriott near Lenox Mall is right across from the Marta station. Or downtown hotels like the Hyatt, Ritz, & Westin are near the Marta. I like the Sheraton downtown, but the Marta is a few blocks away.

Marta will take you downtown and to the Georgia Dome / World Congress Center. You can make it to the Capitol building and World of Coca-Cola from the MARTA. I'm not sure about the proximity of the Carter Center or MLK Center to the Marta.

You'd need a car or a tour to get to Stone Mountain, which is one of my favorite Atlanta attractions. If you're a timid driver, then Atlanta is not for you!

Marta website is http://www.itsmarta.com/

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I agree with everyone else; Atlanta really requires a car, but I think you can do the city without one with careful planning. I think the mass transit system is planned mainly for commuters who drive to parking lots and leave their cars. The marta routes mainly criss cross the city and that's all. Probably a map on a visitors bureau web site would help clarify. The Marta line does go to the airport, which is a real plus, and grayline tours may be just the ticket for the other place that are too far to walk. Keep in mind that this is a big city that had no geographic barriers to contain it, so it covers alot of territory. If I were you I'd make a list of what I wanted to see and then try to match up with tours and Marta. Don't forget that there is a great art museum, zoo, and botanical garden in Atlanta!