Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Weekend destination between Madison and Wausau with charm? som

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, folks. My mother and her beau live in central Wisconsin. They enjoy travel but have limited funds in retirement. For Christmas I would like to give them a weekend away someplace not far from where they live. My mother would prefer a place with an indoor pool, or at least a hot tub. I would like it to be someplace with a bit more charm than your typical chain hotel. Are there any happy mediums out there?

If it turns out that it must be a chain hotel in order to provide certain ameneties, I would also like suggestions for towns or cities that might offer interesting shops for browsing. I know Madison slightly and this might be a good choice if I can find a hotel in the downtown area within walking distance of restaurants and shops.

My mom loves bookstores and interesting little shops for browsing. Her beau likes browsing (not buying) antiques and collectibles and is himself a philatelist. They both love to golf.

Is there anything within a 2 hour drive of Wisconsin Rapids that might satisfy us all? Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:13 PM
TheWeasel

"Is there anything within a 2 hour drive of Wisconsin Rapids that might satisfy us all? Thanks!"

Send 'em to Nekoosa!

But seriously, there's quite a few choices within a 2 hour drive. The Dells is an obvious choice for your lodging requirements, and I think there'd be enough shopping and golfing options within a fairly close radius (Baraboo, Portage). Madison is always good. LaCrosse is another possibility, as well as the whole Green Bay/Appleton/Oshkosh corridor. I can't give you any advice on antique shops, etc. but hopefully this will give you some city (and I use that term loosely) options to begin looking at. If they're willing to cross the river and hit Minnesota, you could check into Winona and/or Red Wing.

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I had forgotten all about the Dells, a town where I spent many a deliriously happy day as a child. I would save all summer to spend my money at the Storybook Gardens and to buy saltwater taffy. All tackiness aside, that might work.

I think that Madison will probably be the best bet. But if that doesn't work, I will certainly consider Nekoosa. Or maybe even Junction City.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM
TheWeasel

Junction City?? Bleck! Rudolph or Nekoosa would be so much better.

Is this trip over the summer? If so, the Dells might be too overrun with tourists to be relaxing and enjoyable. I know that's a possibility anywhere, but it's going to be the worst in the Dells.

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM

although it would be a bit farther, take a look at Galena, Illinois
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Weasel. I'm pretty sure that both JC and Nekoosa were jokes. And short of those two places there's always Kellner.

I think I may just get them a monetary GC and they can choose the time of year they want to get away. The more I think of it, the more a place like a Holidome would be welcomed by them on a wintry weekend. There's a Holidome in Stevens Point. Are there others in Wisconsin, and would I have to go to a Holiday Inn website to find out?

And thanks for the Illinois suggestion, but that really would be too much time in the car for them.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM

search for bed and breakfasts in wisconsin. there are tons. even lots in madison. there's a cute one in madison themed around the canterbury tales.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM

How about them staying at a B and B in LaValle? It's maybe 30 minutes west of the Dells right at beautiful Lake Redstone .
They can catch the action of the Dells but have the lake and hills to catch some quiet moments. There are golf courses all around and LaValle offers antiques and art stores (just a few!). It's also right on the 400 Bike Trail; great for walking too.
You really can't beat the area for natural beauty with lots of action just a short drive away!
Good luck..L
P.S.- we live in northern Ill. and have a home on Redstone; it's just wonderful!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:32 AM

How about the American club in Kohler. I know it's quite expensive but it is very, very nice.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:46 AM

I second the American Club. You can't beat it. It has everything and is such a beautiful setting whether it's the summer or winter.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM

There is nothing within 2 hrs of WR that I would rate as note worthy above all others. (I have a cabin between WR and the dells so I do frequent) Have you thought of giving a gift certificate and let them determine thier own destination.? That excercise may provide an additional thrill/memory in itself.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:09 AM

What about Heidel House in Green Lake or the American Club in Kohler?
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:13 AM

This may be just a bit beyond your 2 hour limit but what about Door County - Sturgeon Bay, Fish Creek, Sisters Bay, etc. There is plenty of interesting shops in those areas. Also B & B's, hotels that could fit your needs. I am not sure what they would be, but if you decide to choose that area, post again & plenty of people would be able to help you with that.
If not that, how about Praire du Sac or Sauk City area along the Wisconsin River. If at the right time of year, bald eagle watching can be a highlight there. They are near the Dells. or how about Sparta, WI for small town WI, or a bit further, as somebody else posted, over to LaCrosse along the Mississippi River or across the river to Winona MN. A beautiful area. Otherwise Madison should work too.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great suggestions so far. I had forgotten about Door County. I visited there once with my parents when I was quite young and it was lovely, as I recall. That might be the best fit, with Madison playing a close second.

Is there a tourism website for Door COunty? It's a place I associate with smaller inns, and the one thing my mom has requested is an indoor pool. Since not many B&Bs or small inns or even motels have that, it would seem my options are limited to the chain hotels.

I will look for more info about the American Club in Kohler. If it's very expensive I probably will not be able to swing it anyway, but it sounds great.

I'm not sure what time of year they would want to travel. I thought I'd leave that up to them, whether they wanted to see Door County when the trees blossom or whether they wanted do a bit of snuggling by the fire after a winter walk, or whatever.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:55 AM

You can try: http://www.doorcounty-wi.com/ or http://www.doorcounty.com/ or just Google Door County & you will find many websites.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 01:47 PM

If you're still interested in Kohler, you could also have them stay at the Inn at Woodlake, where the prices are a bit more reasonable than the American Club. My dad took my mom there for her 50th birthday and they loved it. According to the web site, all guests are granted access to a private fitness club that has a pool. Try this web site: http://www.destinationkohler.com
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:42 AM

The Heidel House is very nice-set on a lake, has a nice indoor pool, good restaurant and I'm pretty sure Green Lake has alot of nice antique stores. In the summer you can do a cruise of Green Lake that is very nice. We have gome to Heidel House twice in the winter- it is very pretty in the snow.

Door County is the ultimate for boutique shopping! I'm sure you can find a place with an indoor pool if you chsck the web.

I would steer clear of the Dells. It is really tacky, IMO, and overpriced. I've taken kids and girl scout troop there several times for winter cabin fever waterpark insanity- great for kids..but I wouldn't go there on my own free will!!