Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Week in Florida in January (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/week-in-florida-in-january-349928/)

hmp Aug 20th, 2003 09:34 AM

Week in Florida in January

We are hoping to take a trip to Florida at the end of January before our baby is born. Any suggestions on where to go? Would like a hotel that has a pool and is on or close to the beach. Thanks!!

jon Aug 20th, 2003 10:36 AM

The possibilities are endless! Do you have any other specifications?

swalter518 Aug 20th, 2003 10:41 AM

Gulf or Ocean? The Clearwater/Tampa/ St. Pete area has tons of options with good weather but Fla. weather is iffy at best in January if you're looking for hot, pool weather.

mclaurie Aug 20th, 2003 11:16 AM

The Marriott in Delray Beach gets lots of good reviews. On the beach, walk to tons of restaurants on the Main drag, 15-20 drive to west Palm Beach (north) or Boca Raton (south) for shopping.

scs Aug 20th, 2003 01:20 PM

In January you have to go to South Florida, and even then you are not guaranteed hot weather. That being said, I would suggest the Ritz Carlton in Naples (the beach resort, not the golf resort). The gulf beaches are beautiful, and Naples has great shops and restaurants on Fifth and Third.

LN Aug 20th, 2003 03:12 PM

As others have said there's no guarantee for warm weather in January. You could look into Marco Island, Sanibel/Captiva, Naples is fantastic (and pricey) but I think you'd be stretching it at Siesta, Longboat, or Anna Maria (all gorgeous) but about two hours further north.

momof2 Sep 12th, 2003 11:28 AM

Splurge on yourself pre-baby and go to South Seas Resort on Captiva. Try for a Harborside Hotel room on the side that is right on the water (not marina). Or, if money is flush, go for a condo. Good luck!

bluestructure Sep 18th, 2003 11:25 PM

best weather is prob in keys or extreme south florida in january BUT you never know...can be 80 in orlando *take that chance* but your chances are better down in keys or SW florida around naples.

Paul Sep 19th, 2003 02:46 AM

Dear hmp,

You don't indicate where you are traveling from, but coming from Michigan, I thought I'd offer a suggestion of what I have done in the past.

The first two weeks after the New Year are very slow times for the FL tourism industry. It must be that way in early January because people are "getting over" the holidays. For whatever the reason, I have picked up, year after year, some bargain basement last-minute deals for FL travel. Flights and hotels can be VERY inexpensive.

Personally, I have flown into West Palm, stayed at The Marriot Ocean Pointe in Palm Beach Shores on Singer Island, and have had great 5-day "long-weekend" trips. By waiting until the last minute (which granted, you may not want to do), I have been able to determine what the weather might be like before I take off from Michigan. If the weather is clear, sunny, and warm; I'm outta' here!

Happy trails, and best wishes with your new baby.

Paul