Search

anniversary meal and stay - Islamorada?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anniversary meal and stay - Islamorada?

Hi
We are spending our anniversary in Florida and thinking of visiting the keys.We love beach, eating and nature - not snorkelling. Wondered whether we should base ourselves at Islamorada the first day there would coincide with the actual day of our anniversary. Questions: Is Islamorada a good base? Any recommendations re anniversary meal? Any suggestions as to lodgings? I looked at Moorings Village and Spa which looks ideal.
Many thanks for any help with this.
Steve
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 12:37 AM

It's been years but we stayed at the Bocca Cheeca lodge. We were there after a cruise out of Miami - just for a night before returning home - mainly to go fishing the next day - and we had a bargain rate the day/week before Christmas rates kicked in.

The day we left - the room rate tripled.

Think Islamorada is a good - midpoint keys location.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 03:49 AM

Tomsd, are you sure it wasn't just the Cheeca Lodge? We stayed there years ago and like it a lot,too. Steve, Moorings Village is next to the Cheeca Lodge...we drove through it a long time ago, but it looked beautiful. At that time there was no restaurant connected to it, so for us that would have been a disadvantage.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 04:53 PM

The Moorings Village is lovely. I just returned from 4 nights there and have already booked for next year. Much nicer than Cheeca Lodge, in my opinion, which is a large sprawling golf resort that draws lots of conventioneers. They do have a lovely pool, however, and the beach is beautiful, as is the one at The Moorings. But I do not believe these are good swimming beaches.

The Moorings does not have a restaurant, but the cottages have kitchens and there are places to eat on the main road, a 5 minute walk away.

I am happy to offer more info if you like.

I have not found great restaurants on Islamorada. We ate most of our meals at the simple Ma's, which has the best Key Lime Pie on earth, and a conch chowder that is almost as good. Well, not quite, but the chowder is great.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 05:03 PM

I just re-read my last post, and perhaps I was too harsh about Cheeca Lodge. It is not my style but many people like it. The Moorings is much smaller and more intimate..more like a group of private cottages than a hotel. Again, no restaurant. I would check availability there before weighing your options, as the place is small and often full.

Michaels is a restaurant near both hotels that might be good for an occasion, but I have not dined there.
On the high end on Islamorada I have only been to Ziggy s.

Where are you in Florida now?
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 05:10 PM

Lazy Days is my favorite. Ocean view deck or tables on the sand are both available. Reservations are essential. Early reservations are even better.

Islamorada is a great base for the middle Keys. You really need to stay in KW to do KW. The drive back after dark is too long and no fun.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much, and apologies, I should have explained that the trip is not until early June this year. I am still researching Islamorada so forgive the next statement - Islamorada isn't just for people who are in to fishing and that it has natural beaches (Ive never been to the Keys and an image builds up from the information collected)?
Thanks again
Steve
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Steve, believe it or not there are not a lot of natural beaches in the keys. In my opinion if you are looking for a beautiful lounge on the beach type of place then the keys may not be for you.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 07:40 AM

I might mention that the Hampton Inn Islamorada has a beautiful private beach on the property. HI is not the Cheeca, but is definitely not your standard issue Hampton either. Pool area and tiki bar are very cool. Walking distance of Lazy Days.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 09:43 AM

The Moorings is incredible and the private beach is great. The pics on their website are not misleading - its a piece of paradise! We ate at the sushi place at Cheeca Lodge, Michael's, the Islamorada Yacht Club (fishing guide was a member and got us in) and my favorite meal by far was at Pierre's. Its actually owned by the same people as the Moorings and is just a short walk across Highway 1. Islamorada is a really special place and I hope we get to return some day! Michael's was walking distance too, and also a very good meal, but for special occasion I'd ask to be on upstairs patio at Pierre's.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 01:28 PM

The beaches at both Cheeca Lodge and The Moorings are beautiful--white sand and clear turquoise water-- but as I wrote above, swimming can be problematic. Both places have good pools, though.

Cheeca and The Moorings are like apples and oranges: I tried to explain the differences a bit above. The Moorings will likely be much more expensive, although their rates do drop somewhat in May, as I remember. YOu should book long in advance if you are thinking of going there; they may not takek guests for one night only, though. The couple in the Moorings cottage next to ours a few weeks ago had just eaten at Pierre's and liked it very much. I would worry that Cheeca would have lots of children once school lets out.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 10:41 AM

Boca Chica Key, NAS base. Islamorada is ok if you are into fishing, kayaking, scuba etc. I have not stayed there in years. We head directly to KW.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Can I thank you all so much for your responses - despite all this we have now decided on Naples, but one day we may get to the Keys.