Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wedding on the beach in San Diego? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wedding-on-the-beach-in-san-diego-525142/)

nancy1234 Apr 28th, 2005 02:45 PM

Wedding on the beach in San Diego?

Can you recommend a nice spot for a wedding on the beach in San Diego and a sit-down reception? Hotel del Coronado is very nice but a tad out of our price range.

sunbum1944 Apr 28th, 2005 02:49 PM

A friend of mine got married in LaJolla-its wasnt exactly on the beach- but a grassy area overlooking the ocean - at sunset- very nice !
can' recommend a place for the reception though

nancy1234 Apr 28th, 2005 03:23 PM

Was it a hotel? If so, do you recall the name of it?

BarbAnn Apr 28th, 2005 03:25 PM

My brother-in-law is getting married on the beach next to the Catamaran Resort Hotel (Pacific Beach area) this September. The reception will be in one of the banquet rooms at the resort. Hope this helps.

Alice Apr 28th, 2005 03:29 PM

Not sure how picky the op is, but the Catamaran is on the Bay, not the ocean...

sunbum1944 Apr 28th, 2005 03:29 PM

Nancy- no it was not a hotel- it was a park in La Jolla - overlooking the coves- I can get more information for you on how to reserve it if you are interested- they had the reception at a
private home - but there would be lots of restaurants around for a reception

nancy1234 Apr 28th, 2005 03:32 PM

I'm open to all suggestions. I'll check with the Catamaran, and sunburn, if you could get the info on reserving the spot on the cove I'd appreciate it. Sounds like it would be beautiful and also cost saving.

Kristy Apr 28th, 2005 03:36 PM

I think I know where sunbum is talking about. It is directly across the street from the Scripps Inn, where I stayed.

We watched many weddings take place throughout the weekend. Lots of wedding members would get ready in a room at the hotel, then walk across the street!

The Musuem of Contemporary Art was right there as well, possibly a good place for the reception! They also had weddings being perfomed outside.

I did a trip report of the area, if you click on my name.

Good luck!
Kristy

sunbum1944 Apr 28th, 2005 03:46 PM

nancy- ok- sent e-mail off to friend to get details - stay posted

nancy1234 Apr 28th, 2005 03:48 PM

Kristy - I couldn't find your trip report. What number posting would it be under your name?

nancy1234 Apr 28th, 2005 03:49 PM

Thanks, sunburn. I'm taking off for home so I'll check back tomorrow morning.

sunbum1944 Apr 28th, 2005 03:54 PM

Kristy- I think you are exactly right-
I know they rented a hotel room across the street where they got dressed - so am pretty sure its the same place -
they had fabulous wedding photos -

sunbum1944 Apr 29th, 2005 07:58 AM

ok- heres the scoop - the area in La Jolla is called the wedding bowl- you reserve it through the Parks and Rec in La Jolla but she said its a lottery system and they only do a drawing once a month- so hope that helps you out - you could call the parks and rec dept and get the particulars

Margaret_Dumont Apr 29th, 2005 08:15 AM

The La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla also has a beautiful outdoor patio area overlooking the ocean. I've seen weddings held there. They also have some great restaurants in the hotel, so I presume that they would arrange the reception, as well.

sunbum1944 Apr 29th, 2005 08:22 AM

its not the beach- but I agree the Valencia looks like a wonderful place for a wedding -

missrocco Apr 29th, 2005 08:24 AM

hi! i am also planning a wedding in SD. there are a TON of places by the water to get marrried. you might want to check out
www.herecomestheguide.com and
www.sandiegoweddings.com for ideas. most of the beachfront hotels are a little expensive (including la valencia etc), but places on the bay tend to be less so. check out paradise point resort, just as one example, or some of the places on harbor and shelter island. good luck!

btewalt Apr 29th, 2005 08:59 AM

Hi Nancy--I'm not sure what the reception options are, but Point Loma Nazarene University also has wedding site(s). ALthough, it's more on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The wedding bowl in La Jolla is also beautiful.
Congratulations!

Barbara Apr 29th, 2005 09:47 AM

Here is the web site to reserve a city park in San Diego for an event.

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-rec.../permits.shtml

mclaurie Apr 29th, 2005 10:26 AM

I attended a wedding at the Catamaran. I thought it was less than ideal. There were about 3-4 weddings going on at the same time on the grassy area in front of the water. There were also guests in bathing suits roaming around. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres outside on the grass were nice but not private. The sit down dinner inside in one of the banquet rooms was very good but could have been anywhere. No views from inside.

nancy1234 Apr 29th, 2005 01:06 PM

Thank you for all your input and information! I'll check into the Parks & Rec. And the Museum of Contemporary Art sounds very intriguing. We're really looking for a ceremony on the beach and a reception nearby, indoors or out. How about the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club or Loews Coronado?