Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weather Question re NO (from someone who lives in a dry climate) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weather-question-re-no-from-someone-who-lives-in-a-dry-climate-525868/)

Lexma90 May 1st, 2005 09:59 PM

Weather Question re NO (from someone who lives in a dry climate)

We're going to New Orleans later this week. Highs are forecast between 77 and 81; cloudy to partly cloudy, possibility of rain, more sun later on. Right now (in the middle of the night) it's 68 and 44 percent humidity (ugh).

I can't remember - what does the mid-70s and low 80s feel like with that kind of humidity? Am I going to swelter? The real question is, long pants or shorts/skirts? (I don't do capris, sorry) Help - I'm obsessing about this a bit too much!

CAPH52 May 1st, 2005 10:09 PM

I'd go with shorts/skirts. You must live in a very dry climate if 44 percent humidity sounds high to you! I suspect you'd be very uncomfortable in long pants.

rain_monkey03 May 1st, 2005 10:10 PM

Honestly I'm not sure because I live in Phoenix and when we have 80% humidity it's also 110 out so it's just hot. I do suggest going to weather.com it's the weather channels website and it gives forcasts and say feels like ____. I think they may even give tips for travelers. Hope this Helps
-Jenna

nytraveler May 2nd, 2005 05:45 AM

44% humidity is incredibly low unless you live in a desert. In NO - I would expect it to be in the 70/80 percents. (Although it seems every time I've been there it's been about 95% - incredibly sticky.)

neworleanslady May 2nd, 2005 06:06 AM

44% is great. It's actually very cool this morning - I think we started in the upper 40's.

You won't "swelter" in that weather. Don't come in August, though. I would plan for either skirts/shorts or something light weight - linen - if you are more comfortable in pants.

benj May 2nd, 2005 06:12 AM

The weather has been weird- cool & breezy in the mornings & nice afternoons. The humidity really hasn't been bad. This whole week looks pretty good-cooler than normal. Go to www.wwltv.com & check the weather forecast there. It's usually pretty close. I doubt you swelter & lightweight long pants might feel good in the morning & evening.

Chele60 May 2nd, 2005 07:19 AM

I'm in So Cal and when the humidity is in the 40s and the temps are in the 60s, that usually means cool with a certain dampness in the air. Not sweltering by any means.

i would check the humidity for daytime, however. Where I am, if it were 81 degrees with humidity in the 40 to 50 percentile, that would be a tad uncomfortable for me. I would say if rain is projected, and the temps are in the 80s, there is humidity in the air. It would depend on how sensitive you are to it.

BelleReve May 2nd, 2005 09:55 AM

the weather has beeen strange lately, cooler evenings and not as warm and humid during the day as is usual for this time of the year. I would say shorts, lightweight pants and tops, maybe a lightweight sweater or rain slicker is all you really need.

Lexma90 May 2nd, 2005 09:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies - I obviously didn't really know how 44% relative humidity feels. I looked up a website that lists average relative humidity; NO's average is 82%, and Denver - where I live - the average is 67%. Bottom line, it's usually much drier in Denver than in NO (though it's been SNOWING here for the past several days, so I'm ready for some warmth).

I have been reading all sorts of New Orleans weather forecasts, my problem - until you all helped me out - was that I couldn't get a feel for what high 70s in New Orleans really feels like!

J_Correa May 2nd, 2005 10:43 AM

Denver is a very dry climate - when I go there I have to use super-strength lotion and am constantly using chapstick to battle dry skin and chaped lips.

New Orleans will feel really muggy to you - sort of like a steamy bathroom or when you go someplace where there is a heated indoor pool.

One of the issues with humid climates is that your body cannot cool itself through evaporation because you sweat, but the air already has so much moisture in it that the sweat cannot evaporate. You will likely feel kind of damp.

So I would just recommend wearing light, breath-able clothing, make sure to drink lots of water, and just take it easy. The weather shouldn't be super hot, just different from what you are used to.