Weather:NYC,San Diego,LA,Lake Tahoe and San Francisco

The itinerary for my forthcoming visit to the US looks as follows:

NYC : May 31 to June 1
San Diego: June 2 to June 5
LA : June 6 to June 7
Santa Cruz: June 8
Lake Tahoe: June 9 to June 12
San francisco: June 13 to June 15

What is the weather likely to be? My plan is to take summer clothes with something warm for the colder occasions - but no real cold weather clothes?

Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't speak for eastern cities-- but a "best guess" for SD and LA:

San Diego: Fog and low clouds in AM, sun in afternoon. Lows in 50s, highs in low to mid 70s.

LA: Coastal will be essentially identical to San Diego. Inland: Mostly sunny, possible haze. Lows in high 50s and low 60s, highs into the upper 70s and 80s. Note that in the inland valleys temps will be considerably higher.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:36 AM

Lake Tahoe isn't usually very warm in June. May be in the low 70's and much colder at night. It doesn't stay consistently warm until July. Good thing is that crowds are low in June. Most likely there will still be snow in the higher elevations around the lake as there was very late snow this year. Squaw and Heavenly will have some of their ski lifts open this memorial day weekend.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:47 AM

Also check www.weatherbase.com
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:59 AM

On the west coast you wont need any cold weather clothes - even if you were visiting in the middle of winter. Last year I bought my first winter coat in 5 years because I had to travel to Colorado in December - LOL.

As with any trip to the west coast, layers are your best bet. Bring some shorts if it gets warm, but plan on wearing long pants most of the time. A sweater and a light jacket, preferably a windbreaker, will be all you need when it's chilly.

You will probably see foggy mornings, sunny afternoons after the fog burns off, and foggy evennings. You might get some days of full sun or full fog, it just depends.

Lake Tahoe will most likely be sunny with warm days and chilly nights.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:05 AM

The best you can do is check the forecasts before you leave (weather.com, intellicast.com). They are far from 100% but at least can give you some idea. As far as NYC goes, we've been having awful weather, not much of spring. Bring at least a light jacket and sweater. Also an umbrella.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:44 AM

J_Correa is right to remind us about layering. I can also recommend long-sleeved T-shirts as an indispensable West Coast item of clothing in late spring. Our "June Gloom" has overachieved itself into mid-May on the coast-- but inland has been toasty, as well as south-facing beach communities like Long Beach (well into the 80s yesterday). Looks like you'll get a bit of everything on your trip.