Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   weather in san fran (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weather-in-san-fran-533336/)

ZEEWEE21 Jun 1st, 2005 09:20 AM

weather in san fran

I'm leaving for San Francisco on 6/2/05 (tomorrow) and I'm looking at temperatures in the low 60's. What would suggested clothing be? Is that shorts weather or jeans? Is the overall feel of the city casual or city chic? Any input would be appreciated.

burper Jun 1st, 2005 09:42 AM

The overall feel of San Francisco is city chic casual.

Denim jean shorts can be worn during mid-day.

Burp

Chele60 Jun 1st, 2005 10:24 AM

Whenever I go to San Fran, the major thing to keep in mind is layers. It can be quite cool and damp in the mornings, and warm up a bit in the afternoons, before turning chilly in the evenings. For me, low 60s is not shorts weather, and I doubt I would wear shorts in San Fran. But then, I live in So Cal so the weather has to be very warm for me to don shorts.

You can wear just about anything in San Fran. It really depends on where you'll be heading. Sightseeing and walking about? Jeans and layered tops work well. An evening out to a better restaurant? You might feel better with something a bit more dressy.

Have fun! San Fran is one of my favorite cities!

zooey91 Jun 1st, 2005 10:32 AM

Having lived in SF for 25 years, my advise for anyone coming this time of year is 1) ignore the weather forecast, and 2) bring layers.

It can be absolutely gorgeous (as the last couple of days have been) or extremely freezing, sometimes in the same day.

If you’re planning on traveling, say, to Napa Valley, you can have freezing, grey fog in San Francisco and mid 80s or even 90s in Napa.

And when I say freezing, don’t let the thermometer fool you. I’ve been known to dress in winter outfits in June, when it's in the 50s.

ZEEWEE21 Jun 1st, 2005 10:52 AM

Thanks! That's what I thought too, ignore the weatherman!!! Where I live, the 60's can be quite comfortable but, say in the Florida Keys, the 60's feel like winter time. My problem is I'm trying not to check luggage so there is a "space" issue in my carry on.
Thanks again!!

dovima Jun 1st, 2005 11:02 AM

Dear zeewee,
We are having extremely nice weather here in San Francisco right this moment......but things change from moment to moment in S.F.! There is a cool-down forecast for Friday and the weekend. If you are staying in the city proper, I would bring a jacket and a sweater which can be layered. Low 60's here are definitely long-pants weather.

TripleSecDelay Jun 1st, 2005 11:45 AM

Remember that SF is a city on the water, and you can experience 2 or 3 seasons in one day. Also, perfect weather one day becomes socked in with fog the next day. Layers is the word.

FainaAgain Jun 1st, 2005 11:58 AM

The weather forecast: getting cooler, and may be rainy Mon-Tue.

Low 60's in SF may be hot of freezing - depends on the wind.

For saving space, bring those zip-off pants :)

weimer Jun 1st, 2005 12:22 PM

The coldest winter I ever felt was the summer in San Francisco!

FainaAgain Jun 1st, 2005 12:51 PM

Hey, Weimer, it was not you :)

weimer Jun 1st, 2005 12:59 PM

You're right...it was not me.

I do owe half my wardrobe to the weather changes in SF though!