Search

National Parks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Parks

Hi Everyone,
We are from Australia and arriving in LA mid may and intend driving up the coast and wish to visit Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore and other national parks in the northern area.
We have previously spent a month driving the national parks in and around Colorado but couldn't access the other parks because of the weather last March.
We intend going up into an area of Canada around Regina and Winnipeg as well. We are leaving the car in Sacramento and flying out of San Francisco back to LA and home so thought we would leave Yosemite until the last. We have 6 weeks to cover this territory. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I believe we can get a train from Sacramento to S.F but not sure where the station in S.F. is. Have to decide where to stay in S.F. for a couple of days that has easy access to Airport transport.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What you'll need to do is:

• Take AMTRAK to San Francisco. You'll get off the train at Emeryville and Amtrak will bus you across the Bay to the Ferry Bldg on the Embarcadero in SF. The bus is included in the Fare

Amtrak has other drop off points near Union Sq, etc. Which bus to catch in Emeryville depends on where you end up staying. Whether it is near the Embarcadero or Union Square or elsewhere you'd take BART or possibly a taxi to the airport.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM

1) That's a lot of ground to cover in 6 weeks.

2) Some mountainous areas may have weather issues even in May/June. In Yellowstone, for example, some roads aren't open until late May, and some facilities aren't open until mid-June. You can still see most everything but be aware of closures.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...closedates.htm

3) Check with your car rental company on geographic restrictions. Some companies restrict which states you can drive in and crossing into Canada may be an issue. You will have to check on those restrictions with whichever company you rent from.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM

Oh --meant to add -- AMTRAK from Sacramento is certainly a viable option, but you could also just drive to San Francisco and turn in the car somewhere near your hotel.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM

Gee, compared to other posters itineraries, I think 6 weeks is a decent amount of time...and welcome to the USA again.

A few sugestions: leaving Yosemite for last is fine...but as others have mentioned both Yosemite (in California) and Yellowstone (access through Montana or Wyoming) may likely involve some road closures. For example Yellowstone does not open it's East road from Cody, Wyoming until late May usually. Cody tho is a great place to provison before heading in Yellowstone: there is a Super Walmart for coolers and picnic stuff, camping and fishing gear and licenses. AmericInn hotels is good for overnight with lots of Wild West stuffed animals.

If you are going to leave something out, it would be MT Rushmore (the furtherst). It is the only thing in that area and it looks just llike the photos...

If you have a camper van... (you don't say what kind of rental) there may be some places you can't go at all or vaery slowly uphill....Canada is a challenging thing with some US rentals but since you are from Australia, you can book as an Australian and may have better luck.

BTW, DH and I spent a lovely 4 weeks in your country with a sailing trip in the Whitsundays and a great stay at the Sydney Hyatt...what a great country and great people.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM

I can address Yellowstone and national parks in general, but other people are more knowledgeable about helping you plan your route and info about SF and LA.

If you want to stay "in park," make your reservations using this website:

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/

It is the only official website for lodging inside the parks. I don't know how you did it in Colorado, but I recommend staying inside the parks when you can. There are, of course, places to stay outside most of the parks, but then you waste time driving in and out, and for some of the parks, like Yellowstone, driving in and out can be something of an ordeal, depending on which entrance you are using.

"In park" lodging can be rustic, and often the food isn't top notch at the dining options, but you will be right in the heart of the natural beauty and won't have to spend half your day in a car. May is off-season for Yellowstone, because most kids are still in school, so you might get lucky and be able to find something, but many people book the lodges several months in advance, so good luck.

http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

Above is the website for general information about all the national parks in the U.S.; you may have already accessed this, but just in case, here it is. I would look at the price of the annual pass and compare with individual entry fees, because you might spend less with a pass since you are visiting more than one.

For Yellowstone, each area of the park offers a different treasure. And the park is huge, so plan at least 3 nights, preferably more, to cover some of the highlights.

With six weeks, you have time to do what you want to and you already are planning to rent a car, which is the best way to complete the trip you are describing.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How far up the coast are you driving before cutting over to Yosemite? From Yosemite do you have your route planned to cover Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and your Canadian detour?
Do you get a break on the drop off fee if you drop in Sacramento vs. San Francisco?
It is possible to drive from San Francisco to LAX in 6 hours and return where you rented the car and fly home from LAX.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:05 PM

" From Yosemite do you have your route planned to cover Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and your Canadian detour?"

Tom, they are going to Yosemite last . . . after the other parks . . .
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:25 PM

OP said they want to visit other northern parks. I would assume Grand Tetons and Glacier are on that list. Possibly Jasper in Canada?

There is a lot to do around Mt. Rushmore (Badlands, Wind and Jewel Cave, Devil's Tower, Custer State Park), plus a logical route to get to Winnipeg would take them near Theodore Roosevelt NP.

Winnipeg is the furthest point from LA, by a lot. I would assume OP has a reason for driving all the way to Winnipeg and Regina and those aren't just one-night stops. I have to assume a week minimum for the Canadian portion of the trip.

So, planning at least a week in Canada, a week in Yellowstone/Glacier area, a week around the Black Hills in South Dakota (including Theo Roosevelt) plus a week driving the coast and Yosemite? That leaves 2 weeks for driving everywhere and seeing everything else. Doable but a lot of ground to cover for sure, close to 5000 miles just to reach Winnipeg/Regina/Mt. Rushmore/Yellowstone without adding in miles for anything else.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Have you considered flying directly on from LAX to Sioux Falls or even Minneapolis, picking up a rental car and heading west through Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone etc and finish up in CA? That way you don't have to drive half way across the country twice. You could visit SF and the CA coast after Yosemite and turn the car in at LAX.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM

I like to think I am something of a "Road Warrior" and I know Australia is larger than the US - but from Mt. Rushmore to LA is a fair amount of ground to cover. As janisj suggested - perhaps after some sight-seeing here in SoCal (a-hem - also consider seeing San Diego - a mere 2 hours from LA via auto) -it might be a lot simplier to fly to somewhere close to Mt. Rushmore and rent a car there and work your way back West.

And BTW - my dad absolutely loved Australia during WWII. He left Med School to sign up - and thus he was a little older than the other soldiers. So when they had leave/liberty - almost all of the others would head for the pubs - and Dad would walk the neighborhoods in Brisbane, etc - and the Aussies would gladly welcome a US serviceman in Uniform into their homes.

Hope you receive a warm welcome here in the States and our friendly neighbor to the North.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:45 PM

BTW - you could stay in the middle of downtown SF - around Union Square - and still catch BART (Metro/Tube) to the airport - or take a taxi, as it's not all that far. When I was a kid and we visited SF - we loved the Grand Dame - the tres elegant (Westin) St. Francis, with a finely festooned doorman and all. Hey - I can still remember the neat machine that sorted coins - (yes - it was that long ago) but there are others good choices around there too, and here is one list:

http://www.sftravel.com/htlunion.html
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:30 PM

If you would even consider my suggestion --then I'd hold off the southern CA sightseeing until just before you fly home. I'd want to get all the flying out of the way at the beginning. Land at LAX, a few hours later fly up north. relax for a day and then head out through the parks working your way back to CA. Seems a more efficient use of your limited time.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:37 PM

And then again, one might consider spending a few days around LA and down here in SD to get over jet lag, whatever - and then head back to the Mt Rushmore area, driving back to Yosemite and on to SF at the end and then just castching a short flight (one hour) back to LA for the return trip to Australia. Different tacks for different folks.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:38 PM

BTW - here is the website I use when checking on car rentals and it lists the various companies: www.carrentals.com,
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the varied information you have given me. I will take time to go through it all and process it. We have been to USA several times and have see quite a lot of the country (even river rafted through the Grand Canyon)also have driven all through the West and East coast of Canada but missed the bit in the middle and thought it might be an idea to add it to this trip but if as suggested it will take quite a bit of time we may skip that part. We thought we would head east towards Yellowstone after going as far north as Newport. We intend just hiring a car for the time we are there and staying in motels.
And TOMSD we are from Brisbane. Because we have such a distance to travel to go anywhere we try to spend as much time as possible and see as much as we can each visit, and we have met some very nice friendly Americans on our travels.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 03:36 AM

This sounds like a lovely trip, you could spend 3 or 4 days driving up the coast from LA to SF. Then depending on how much time you want to spend getting up to Yellowstone and how much time in SF itself another 1 or 3 days to get to Yellowstone. There is a lot to see in the SF area, like Point Reyes, Muir Woods, vineyards even if you don't spend much time in the city itself.

Expect some snow in the Yellowstone area, but don't be put off by that. There should be lots of baby animals at that time of year. Bison, elk, moose, etc.

Do look for in park lodging and be aware that they may say they are full, but people make reservations way in advance and then cancel as the time gets close, so keep calling.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:02 AM

Ahhh - you are from Brisbane. Always have wanted to visit there and also get on up to the Great Barrier Reef. One of these years...............

Now - if you rented a car in LA - and "only" went as far east as majestic Yellowstone, you could easily head back through whatever else you want to see and spend time in similarily incredible Yosemite, then on to SF.

After seeing "Bagdhad by the Bay" - either turn the car in there (it's only an hour by air to LA and there are many/inexpensive flights) - or enjoy a nice trip down the beautiful California Coast (it's better IMO driving south as over here - you are in the more scenic lane closest to the ocean) - stopping in perhaps Carmel/Monterrey.

Then you could enjoy leisurly driving through Big Sur (Nepenthene is great for a nice cup of coffee - enjoying the view http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ ) - and then also look for the Elephant Seal beach - a couple of miles before you come to the entrance to Hearst Castle - and say spend a night in lovely Cambria - to "properly" tour nearby Hearst Castle. You could also visit some wineries in that area or Paso Robles - or visit some wineries in say the Santa Rita Hills west of Danish themed Solvang.

And there are plenty of other posts in here about driving the California Coast, whatnot.

Wish I could be a little birdie riding along on top of your car. Have a blast.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:08 AM

And here is some more info on Monterrey/Carmel, Hearst Castle, Cambria and Solvang areas.

http://www.monterey-carmel.com/

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

http://www.cambriachamber.org/

http://www.solvangusa.com/
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:12 AM

Actually - this may be a better post with info and pictures about the Carmel/Monterrey area - where it's great to see the Acquarium and nearby Cannery Row, enjoy the magnificent 17 Mile Drive - past renowned Pebble Beach - and also see the cute/artist villabe of Carmel.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cam...l_Pictures.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -