Weather in Northern AZ (Page) in March?

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in Northern AZ (Page) in March?

My husband and I are headed to Arizona in mid-March and I want to include Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend as part of our trip. Should I have any concerns about weather being a factor in seeing (or not seeing) those sights?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM

Go to www.weatherbase.com for historical data.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM

Should I have any concerns about weather being a factor in seeing (or not seeing) those sights?

In mid-March you might run into a snowstorm in the higher country (which you'll have to drive thru to get to Page), which would likely be just rain or thick clouds around Page. Usually it's sunny, but there's a chance in March.

This won't affect viewing or access at Horseshoe Bend overlook, you park near the main road and just hike a short distance to the viewing point.

At Antelope Canyon, if it's cloudy then the light is very very poor inside and I personally wouldn't even bother paying and entering, though if this is your one and only shot at seeing it you might as well, but it won't look very good.

Also, even if it's sunny, there's a chance the famous "beam of light" won't happen in the Upper section (which is what most people wish to see). In the winter, when the sun is lower on the horizon, the "beam" just doesn't occur. I seem to remember a Navajo guide telling me that the beam starts up sometime in April but I never verified this. At any rate it won't look like it does later in the summer when the sun is higher overhead mid-day.

Lower Antelope will still look good in mid-March on a sunny day (more angles, lower walls, wider floor in many spots, lighter rocks than Upper) but if there has been much rain earlier in the winter there are usually stagnant pools of water and foul-smelling mud in Lower thru April.

If there's even the *slightest* chance of rain anywhere in the area you should avoid Lower Antelope as flash floods can strike quickly even when it's sunny over Page. Eleven tourists were killed in one flood several years back.

You might also try Waterholes Canyon, which you'll cross on highway 89 a few miles south of Page (south of the Horseshoe Bend turnout). Waterholes isn't as spectacular as Upper or Lower Antelope but because it runs east -> west instead of south -> north the light is still fairly good in the winter months.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful information Bill! I'll have to look into Waterholes Canyon as a potential alternate to Antelope Canyon if the weather doesn't look like it is going to cooperate with our plans.