Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weather in Manhattan in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weather-in-manhattan-in-february-370442/)

enjoylife Oct 21st, 2003 04:21 PM

Weather in Manhattan in February

I am considering going to New York City for Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend. How is the weather generally around that time?
Will it be difficult to get a hotel or show tickets because of Valentine's Day?

Patrick Oct 21st, 2003 04:22 PM

COLD!

Gekko Oct 21st, 2003 05:04 PM

It's FEBRUARY in New York.
It's COLD, wet, and snow is a distinct possibility. Last year a major blizzard stopped New York City over Presidents Day Weekend. But New York is still great anytime of year.

Any tickets and dinner reservations will be difficult on 2/14.

Ryan Oct 21st, 2003 05:28 PM

We have two kinds of weather in New Yrok that time of year, COLD and DAMN COLD.

Ryan Oct 21st, 2003 05:29 PM

We have two kinds of weather in New York that time of year, COLD and DAMN COLD.

djkbooks Oct 21st, 2003 05:41 PM

It will likely be quite dreary, bitter cold and damp, so you'll want to plan to dress so as to be comfortable while out and about.

With regard to hotel reservations and show tickets, you'll just have to start shopping and find out.

Best bet for hotels is to shop like the dickens now and book the most suitable place you can find with a generous cancellation policy. Then, keep shopping. Consider Hotwire and Priceline - learn how to use them.

As for show tickets, not is not too soon to purchase online tickets for any "must see" shows for specific dates and the best seats. For other than the "hottest" tickets on Broadway, it's better to wait and, in the meantime sign up at Playbill, Broadwaybox, Theatermania, etc. and watch for discounts for your dates. If you haven't seen any of the shows, and have no particular preferences, heading for the TKTS booth once you arrive is an excellent endeavor.

Scarlett Oct 21st, 2003 05:43 PM

February in NYC is especially nice when you are getting on an airplane and heading somewhere warm

HowardR Oct 21st, 2003 07:22 PM

As others have implied, February is the coldest month of the year in New York.
Assuming there's no blizzard, you may find it tough to get a dinner reservation that weekend unless you book early. (Valentine's Day, in itself, is one of the peak restaurant days of the year.) It'll probably be almost as tough get tickets to the top shows that weekend.

BudgetQueen Oct 22nd, 2003 04:31 AM

Last 2 years, I have traveled to NYC twice in Feb each year. Never great weather and I arrived the day after the storm this year to a city full of "slop", the week before I was there - it was blustery cold. BUT excellent hotel rates and good show tickets available - BUT if looking specifically for Valentines Day's they will be in shorter supply and reservations needed soon.

GoTravel Oct 22nd, 2003 05:56 AM

Presidents Week will be very busy.

kalmia Oct 22nd, 2003 06:55 AM

I hate to be negative but it really feels cold in Feb. Sometimes when I go to NY from Albany, it is the same temperature in both places, but NY feels much chillier. It is more windy which makes a difference.

suzanne Oct 22nd, 2003 09:06 AM

February is the month that we NYers hit the Caribbean or other warm places. It's miserable here. Plus on Valentine's Day restaurants often jack up their prices and it's very difficult to get a reservation (so I have given up trying to go out for dinner that day).

LoriNY Oct 22nd, 2003 10:26 AM

cold, colder and colder!!! If you pan on doing any walking, be sure to dress warmly, that means besides lots of layers, you will need a hat and gloves. Possibly boots if this winter is anything like last winter. Keep you eyes out for theatre deals, many shows run deep discounts for performances in January and February, but I doubt it includes that weekend.

BudgetQueen Oct 23rd, 2003 04:00 AM

I have gone the last 2 years on President's week, not busy- cut rate hotel rates and great availability of shows.