weather better in November of february-march?

Jul 17th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

weather better in November of february-march?

planning our trip for this Thanksgiving to Oahu, 2 days, Kona, 5 days and Kauai, 5 days. Being that that is "winter time" I am wondering about the weather. We could also go the last few days of february and 1st few days of March. We are staying outside of Kona (keahou) in hopes of good weather and on Kauai in Poipu. Last time we were in kauai it was in the summer and we spent all of our time on the north shore-so beautiful and calm water! this time we will have to do a lot more on the south side because of weather and surf conditions. My husbands job is very busy in the summer and he wants to go to hawaii when it is winter and get away from the cold. So, the choices are November or early March. Any thoughts on weather with regard to those choices?
Thanks,
Tammy
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Tammy- The weather in March is typically in the 80's. I have also been to Hawaii in the fall and the temperature was the same. I would highly suggest going in March due to Whale season. Whales are in Hawaii from December - Early April. They are the most amazing things to see!!! So, that would be my suggestion. We will be back this March for our third year in a row.
Jul 18th, 2003, 01:13 AM

I understand that the humpback whale season in Hawaii runs a little longer, from November to May, though the prime season for viewing them is shorter. See Pacificwhale.org. Thanksgiving is November 27, 2003. Not all humpbacks will circle outside the territorial waters waiting for December 1 to arrive. There's a good chance you would see them late November.
The weather in Hawaii is nearly always very good (excepting the occasional hurricane or tsunami). November and March have very similar air temperatures and rainfall levels.
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:45 AM

I lived in Hawaii for a couple of years recently and you really can't go wrong with either time period. The weather fluctuates very little from one season to the next. Whale watching season runs from late November through early April and another interesting thing to do in the winter months in Hawaii is to go to the North Shore of Oahu to watch a surfing tournament - the waves up there in the winter are incredible - you have to see it to believe it. Good luck!

Ruth

Search this Thread