Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weather at the Coast? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weather-at-the-coast-530210/)

HMC May 19th, 2005 07:16 AM

Weather at the Coast?

My dh and I are leaving next Friday to visit some of his family, plus we will be going to the coast and camping a few night because my dh has always wanted to go deep sea fishing. So, what kind of clothes will we need for the camping trip? How cool will it get at night?

I was considering going with them on the boat. What are my chances of seeing some whales, dolphins, sealions, etc.? I'm not a fisherman so I'm not for sure that want to make the boat trip.

Thanks.

beachbum May 19th, 2005 07:22 AM

Try weather.com. Or, if you repost, at least tell us where you're going.

Chele60 May 19th, 2005 07:42 AM

Well, for starters it would help to know if you are visiting the Atlantic coast, the Pacific coast, or the Gulf area.

Or, as beachbum has stated, you could use an online weather service to give you an idea.

bear900 May 19th, 2005 07:43 AM

I've gone deep sea fishing a few times out of Port San Luis, at Avila Beach, and never saw dolphins or whales. You might have a better chance out of Monterey or Santa Barbara. I have heard of sightings in SB.

It's really warming up this weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get near 80 deg on the central coast. It is going to be in the 90's inland. So far it has been beautiful, but warm weather this time of the year also spells June gloom, so you might anticipate some morning fog.

The central coast has been breezy off and on though the wind seems to be tapering off. If you are camping out, I would bring typical sweat pants, sweat shirt, windbreaker combination for night time. Shorts and t-shirts for the daytime as it warms up and gets pretty hot.

I'm not sure what part of the coast you are going to. SB and Ventura will no doubt be even warmer. I was on the Monterey peninsula last weekend and it was quite warm for that area. A lot of kayakers in the harbor.

In my opinion the central coast and weather is quite beautiful right now. People who live here know that it can change within days and also within just a few short miles of wherever you are. Come and enjoy! :)

HMC May 19th, 2005 07:44 AM

Oregon Coast. Sorry, I thought I had posted in under Oregon. I'll move there.
Thanks.

Barbara May 19th, 2005 08:20 AM

HMC, there's no "there" to move to. All US posts come up here and the Oregon thing is only useful for searching.

razzledazzle May 19th, 2005 11:16 AM

A few years ago I went salmon fishing
off the Oregon coast at Coos Bay. It was cold,wet and pretty bumpy seas,
5-7 foot swells. If you or anyone in your party is bothered by motion sickness, take precautions. I would also consider waterproof gloves with
some traction surface built into the palms and fingers-much easier to hold
your rod and reel. Dress to get wet-
in layers if you get lucky and have smooth seas you can remove layers as you like. Definetly include a cap-one of those snug knitted ones you can pull over your ears if it's cold. You could probably hang out in the cabin, though I find it more fun to be where the action is. I had a fine time BTW, I love boats and am never bothered by the motion.
R5