Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Weather and food in San Diego and Santa Barbara (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/weather-and-food-in-san-diego-and-santa-barbara-592297/)

vacationtimeagain Feb 18th, 2006 05:16 PM

Weather and food in San Diego and Santa Barbara

We are coming to San Diego/Santa Barbara next Thursday for 9 days and was wondering what the weather is like so I know what to pack, I went on accuweather and it says 61 and sunny but coming from NY where its freezing right now, I just want to make sure we are prepared and don't overpack with things we won't need. Also, can anyone recommend local inexpensive places to eat in Santa Barbabra.

Barbara Feb 18th, 2006 05:59 PM

In San Diego it's unlikely to freeze, unless you go into the mountains.

Right now, close to the coast, it's 50F and we're expecting rain tonight and snow in the mountains. By the end of the week, it should be in the low-mid 60s during the day and chillier at night. If another storm comes, it'll be colder and wetter. No idea what's coming after next weekend, though.

Dress in layers. One of the advantages of visiting cities is that if you need something you didn't bring with you, you can always buy it here!

sequoia370 Feb 19th, 2006 04:54 AM

It might be 61 and sunny midday, but at night it'll be down in the 40s, and it's not unheard of for it to reach freezing (32 F) even along the San Diego coast, before dawn in February.

On the other hand, it's possible it might reach 80 F during the day. It's hard to tell.

nez Feb 19th, 2006 06:57 AM

>Also, can anyone recommend local inexpensive >places to eat in Santa Barbabra.

There are lots of places to eat in Santa Barbara.
My favorite local place which is pretty inexpensive is the Cajun Kitchen across from the Paseo Nuevo Mall. Very good grub!

adventureseeker Feb 19th, 2006 12:14 PM

Santa Barbara eats:

La Superica (sp?) Taqueria on Milpas is very popular w/ critics and diners alike. It's authentic Mexican and inexpensive. Qualifies as a dive, but food is fab.

Pascucci on State for Italian. Another VERY popular place....crowded at times. Good food, good prices. Noisy and fun ambiance.

Brophy Brothers by the beach is another hot spot for casual seafood.

Have fun!

jaguar7777777 Feb 19th, 2006 02:54 PM

Have you booked a room in Santa Barbara yet? They can be very expensive but we like the El Prado on State Street which is very good value, we think.

TahitiTams Feb 19th, 2006 03:31 PM

HI..
The last couple of days it has been raining and snow in the mountains and cold.. I would dress in layers but it does get pretty cold at night... East Coast people always laugh at us for saying it is freezing when it's only in the 50's.. Forecast in SD for the next 10 days is mid 60's and 40's at night and clear.
As far as cheap eats in Santa Barbara, Here is a great website and click on the "Best Of".. www.santabarbara.com/dining
Has all the types of food for cheap!
We love the Wine Cask in SB if you feel like splurging..winecask.com
Our Taco Shops in SD are some of the best anywhere and they are super cheap!
Have a blast in both cities!

Barbara Feb 19th, 2006 04:59 PM

Unfortunately, according to the tv weather tonight, there is the possibility of another storm next weekend. Even if we don't get rain in San Diego, Santa Barbara very well might. Plus, the temperature will be lower. Lots of layers!

Just today, I was watching my daughter's swim class in Solana Beach and the sun was out from behind the clouds for most of the time. It was lovely and warm. We drove five miles down the freeway and it was colder and raining. So, you just have to be prepared for anything just now.

vacationtimeagain Feb 19th, 2006 05:58 PM

Thank you all! Jaguar, we did already book a room at Harbor View Inn, but thanks for the suggestion. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the weather, it is so cold here and I am excited to shed a layer or 2, we will not be in SB til the 6th so hopefully by then the storm that is expected will pass (and not be in San Diego for the weekend either).