We're looking for a smaller town with old fashioned Main Street

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone recommend a smaller town in Texas that would be nice to relocate to? We love the old fashioned downtowns.

We're looking for a town that is relatively safe, friendly, and not too terribly expensive. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rachel
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:38 AM
J62

Many TX towns outside of any of the bigger cities still have old fashioned main streets. Some would argue that they are just old and dusty, and old often means no significant investment, new residents, shops or buildings. Small also means just that - small. Criss crossing TX I've driven through many a nice, quaint small TX town and the 'Main St.' area is usually no more than 1-2 blocks. You slow down from 80mph just long enough to get through the few stoplights. There's a Dairy Queen, gas station or 2, Agway or hardware store, diner, a few shops & businesses, antique shop, deer prep/butcher, usually a small grocery store just outside town. Even the smallest of small towns has stretched beyond the Main St. so there is really no recognizable 'downtown' anymore.

If you want a town that has received a breath of reinvorgoration, Gruene or Fredricksburg might fit the bill. Both are small, old fashioned towns (Gruene is smaller, quainter) but both benefit from being near Austin/San Antonio in the Hill Country and attract a modest influx of tourists and new residents. That means sprucing up of many old buildings, some good restaurants, and a variety of shops.

Marble Falls (between Austin & Fredricksburg) has some of the things you may be looking for. Not a tourist town, but more on the way to or from somewhere else. It's also closer to Austin, so it has attracted 'city folk' seeking a slower pace (less traffic) and lower prices.
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:45 AM

We lived in Conroe, TX for 4 years. They have a small town downtown area & the outlying areas are a bit rural. We really were more near the Cut N' Shoot community off Hwy 105. It was safe, friendly & the schools in Conroe ISD are some of the best. Nearby is Lake Conroe & another small town, Montgomery. Property is less expensive on the east side of I-45 & that's where we lived. It's also the more rural feeling.
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Jayne1973

"Smaller" is a relative term, but I think Denton has a wonderful old downtown.

Old May 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM

My favorite among all the small Texas towns I've visited is Georgetown. It's about 30 miles or so north of Austin, It has the most charming downtown square and some wonderful traditions such as the annual Easter Walk in the downtown. It's also home to the oldest university, called Georgetown University, but not related to the one you hear about near D.C.

There's also a beautiful recreational lake, Lake Georgetown, nearby. In addition, the area has attracted a high level of residents and there are lots of lovely homes scattered all around the countryside. You can own a home for a reasonable price and watch deer graze in your yard.

The location is good becuse of proximity to Austin and the hill country, and the drive to the Dallas/Fort Worth area is only about 3 to 4 hours.

The only other personal recommendation I can give is that I was prepared to live there permanently, but my company decided otherwise.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Are you looking to retire, or looking for a town where you can find employment?

If you're looking to retire, San Angelo is great. The downtown area has a lot of fun restaurants and shops, especially along Concho Street. The community is very active, with lots of festivals, etc. Homes are VERY affordable there, too. It is somewhat out of the way (largest town in Texas NOT on an interstate highway), so if you need to fly a lot, you will end up driving to Midland or Dallas.

If you need a town where you can find a job, I highly recommend Grapevine, which is just north of DFW Airport. I live here! Downtown here is the heart of the town. We are having our Main Street Days festival next weekend, and GrapeFest is in the fall. The city has nice parks and awesome city services, too. There are neighborhoods of nice older homes with big trees that are about $100,000, and there are also fancier new homes for much more.

Good Luck!