Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   We're Engaged! Honeymoon spot for Oct. '06? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/we-re-engaged-honeymoon-spot-for-oct-06-a-606488/)

almost30 Apr 9th, 2006 04:33 PM

We're Engaged! Honeymoon spot for Oct. '06?

We are getting married in early October 2006 - we would really like advice on where we should head for two weeks.

I think our most important needs are beach, warmth, nice restaurants and resort premium hotel options.

Some initial thoughts we had: Aruba, Curacao or Cabo San Lucas.

Please send any and all advice and info.

Can't wait to see everyone's suggestions.

Thank you!

chasechow Apr 9th, 2006 05:06 PM

Congratulations!!! Where will you be traveling from? Are you on a certain budget?

My initial thoughts right off the top of my head would be Fiji or one of the Hawaiian islands.

If you want to go to the Carribean, I would suggest perhaps Anguilla.

I've only been to the Cancun/Mayan Riviera area of Mexico. Friends who have been to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta thought that Puerto Vallarta was a nicer area than Cabo.

SusanCS Apr 9th, 2006 05:12 PM

I'd stay away from the Caribbean (and Florida) in October - hurricane season will be at its peak.

almost30 Apr 9th, 2006 06:31 PM

Thanks for the advice!

We are going to probably fly out of Detroit or Chicago, so that leaves a lot of options. We hope to go on a trip that we will never do again, so we are looking into traveling outside of the US. We don't have a set budget - but really want to do it up for our big two weeks!

Do you think Anguilla will be in the path of any hurricanes?

nancy1013 Apr 9th, 2006 07:22 PM

Maui has perfect weather in October, we have been their three times, this time of year, and see alot of honeymooning couples.

chasechow Apr 9th, 2006 09:04 PM

Didn't notice your October date, but I agree with previous poster about avoiding the Carribean during hurricane season. The only island if I'm not mistaken that is out of the hurricane belt is Aruba.

If this is going to be a once in a life time trip, then I would definitely look at Fiji then, although the Hawaiian islands are great too and not quite as far to travel. We just went to Maui over the Christmas holidays and loved it. We will definitely go back.

alya Apr 9th, 2006 09:28 PM

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'resort premium hotel options'

We stayed at the Bucuti Beach on Eagle beach in Aruba in June 2004 and loved it - we're thinking of going back in June.

A quiet romantic resort that doesn't encourage children on the best beach in Aruba - Palm beach where the big resorts are is very thin and crowded.

Check out the Tara Suites, we stayed in them and totally recommend them.

I loved that the hotel gives you a flag and while on the beach when you need another cocktail/beer, you stick it in the sand and the barman comes and takes your order! YOu don't even need to move :-)

Aruba is an easy island to relax on or to get out and about, If you book a trip they will come and collect you from your resort.

The buses are inexpensive, clean, well used and fun - so you don't need to rely on cabs.

You are probably thinking the Hyatt but the Bucuti Beach is worth a look.

Congratulations and I'm sure wherever you decided you will have a wonderful time :-)

chicagosmitty Apr 11th, 2006 09:47 AM

I would recommend going to Curacao for your honeymoon. I have been to both Aruba and Curacao- both are beneath the hurricane belt. Aruba is lovely but very touristy now with extreme trade winds- you will end up getting sand blown in your face on the beach. Curacao is gorgeous- very european feel, non-touristy- the bluest waters with the best snorkeling- amazing food and nightlife. It gets overlooked quite a bit for some reason but that is what makes it charming. Try the Marriott or a new hotel called Hotel Kurawanda. My husband and I go back for our second honeymoon in one week and we can't wait!!

mclaurie Apr 11th, 2006 11:16 AM

I'm not sure I understand what makes any Caribbean island a once in a lifetime thing. This may in fact be the last time you have 2 weeks free. Go some place further than the Caribbean. Hawaii, Australia, Fiji, or even one of the beach areas in Europe. I spent my honeymoon in the south of France in mid-late Sept. and it was idyllic.

Given that you'd prefer going outside the US, why don't you post on some of the other boards here rather than the US board?

Lots of good luck!

Abby43 Apr 11th, 2006 11:20 AM

Hayman or Lizard Island in Australia, throw in a trip to sydney as well. October is spring there so the weather should start to be getting very nice around that time. Or go to Tahiti but it's kind of quiet.

karameli Apr 11th, 2006 11:21 AM

We honeymooned in Aruba in October and it was gorgeous -- there was literally three minutes of drizzle in the eight days we were there, and the rest of the time it was sunny and breezy and fabulous. Aruba is outside of the hurricane belt. That doesn't mean it'll never get a hurricane; it just means its odds are about the same as the US Northeast. The two nicest resorts on the island (according to popular opinion) are the Radisson and the Hyatt, and both are around $200 a night, which leaves you lots of money for four-wheeling, horseback riding, tubing, sunset cruises, and the amazing food.

That said...I saw everything I wanted to see in eight days, and that included A LOT of beach time. If you're not beach bums, you might want to consider somewhere with more activities and sightseeing, like Hawaii, as some other posters suggested.

magicone Apr 11th, 2006 11:23 AM

Congratulations! The year we were engaged was one of the most fun ever. I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

We got married in October 1996 and spent a wonderful honeymoon in Fiji. It was incredible and certainly qualifies for that once-in-a-lifetime feeling. We have travelled to Hawaii and all over the Caribbean - and we love those islands, but when you're in Fiji, you are keenly aware that you are on the other side of the earth...some place very different and very special.

You could think about breaking up the trip by flying through Hawaii and spending a few nights there. We had to stop and deplane in Hawaii anyway so it would be a great opportunity to have two trips in one.

And remember, wherever you go, the fact that it's your 'moon will make it a once-in-a-lifetime event! Enjoy.

chasechow Apr 11th, 2006 11:55 AM

Magicone - that was exactly what I was thinking. Fiji is definitely that once in a lifetime trip that you take and the couple of days stop on one of the Hawsiian islands is just the frosting on the cake.

betsys Apr 12th, 2006 05:57 PM

I just have to say that I am 52 years away from my honeymoon, (and still married to the same wonderful DH,) but I also just got back from Argentina, and if you want the trip of a lifetime, I'd go to Argentina's Mendoza wine areas, where you can stay at the Wine bodegas which have the most luxurious private suites, which I decided would be a perfect honeymoon getaway place, and so totally different from the "usual." Let me know if you want any more info, but I could suggest Club Tapiz and or Las Terrazas or Cavas Wine Lodge in Mendoza, or go to Patios de Cafayate in Cafayate in the Salta province, for a never to be forgotten spa experience. Best of luck.

GoTravel Apr 13th, 2006 07:00 AM

Hurricanes can happen just about anywhere on the planet including Aruba, Fiji, and Hawaii so please don't let hurricane season alter your plans.

Just purchase travel insurance.

Four new resorts are opening in Bora Bora this year including a St. Regis and a Ritz-Carlton. I think Fiji is a little less expensive.

I would definitely go for the South Pacific but if time constraints make this not possible (plan on traveling 24 hours each way), I second Anguilla.

On Anguilla either Cap Julaca or CuizinArt.

GoTravel Apr 13th, 2006 07:04 AM

Just wanted to add that the odds are almost the same of a hurricane making landfall anywhere on the US coast.

mijols3 Apr 13th, 2006 07:16 AM

Congrats!
My dear friend got married in October a couple of years ago and they honeymooned on Menorca and Barcelona.

karameli Apr 13th, 2006 10:45 AM

While it's true that hurricanes *can* happen almost anywhere, saying that your odds are the same everywhere is the same as saying your odds of a tornado are the same in Oklahoma and New York City. Plain and simple, different areas have different climates.

Southern Florida and the northern Caribbean are called the Hurricane Belt for a reason -- go there ONLY if your vacation days are flexible and you can change the dates of your trip if needed. If you really want to go to the Caribbean but would rather not have to worry so much about hurricanes, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao have much lower odds of a direct hit. It's certainly possible, but it's a 50-year thing. Again, odds there are similar to the Northeast U.S. Still, you might get rainy days if a hurricane is passing anywhere nearby. Even below the Hurricane Belt, trip insurance is a good idea.

If your dates are set in stone, stay away from hurricane-prone areas and go for South Pacific or somewhere else that's out of the meteorological line of fire. :)

GoTravel Apr 13th, 2006 11:10 AM

kara, your information is grossly incorrect.

Do a search on this board for Florida Hurricanes and go back to the winter of 2004 and people insisted the odds of a hurricane hitting the Gulf Coast of Florida were almost impossible.

New York City has the same chance of being hit by a hurricane that Miami has.

The South Pacific is just as at risk for hurricanes as the Caribbean.

GoTravel Apr 13th, 2006 11:16 AM

THE BIG ONE
Experts say itís only a matter of time before a major hurricane strikes New York City. When it comes, you may want to have your evacuation plan nearby. If not, meet the fishes.

http://www.nypress.com/18/29/news&co...nnaparstek.cfm