Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

We leave for Maui in 6 months (I don't know if I can take the wait!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, fellow fodorites!! I absolutely love to read the posts here and have greatly benefited from everyones wisdom!! We have a trip planned for Maui in January, it is my first time to Hawaii and I just can't stand it, I am so excited. It is great to read that other people out there get as excited as I do, can't sleep, eat, do anything but think about the trip!!! I am already dreaming about it in my sleep!!! My husband thinks I am out of my mind because as soon as we decide on a trip I am immediatly reading about it and looking up any and all information. I have a couple of different books on Maui and I am looking forward to finding out more through the trip reports here. I just wanted to say thanks for making me feel "normal" being so excited. (I don't even sleep while I am on the vacation-why waste the time?! How can I handle the next 6 months?? Yikes..Maui here we come!!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:07 PM
bonniebroad

There's a bunch of us, travelinfamily! I never sleep the night before I leave for Hawaii, I've never slept a wink on a plane, and, like you, I barely sleep after I get to Hawaii. After a few nights of two to three hours sleep, I am dragging but still having the most glorious time!

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:56 PM

I think it's normal to get excited about an upcoming trip - hey, that's why I travel a lot and read these messages! But it seems you're going to lose a lot of six months of real life preceding this trip at this rate! There's no way a trip to anywhere can live up to this anticipation - not even Hawaii, where I lived for three years and have visited (friends) several times since. Not to mention the post-trip depression! So you might want to try to chill out a little and allow yourself a smile now and then when you think of your upcoming trip, but then get back to the wonderful everyday happenings in real life.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Not to worry Travelinfamily! We planned our Scandanavian cruise 8 months out and now about 2 weeks away!

Remember, time does fly!

I also believe that's whey we're all here, we're travel junkies and live for the next trip. Who said there's anything wrong with planning and anticipation? That's half the fun!

Buy more books and you might even rent some movies on Hawaii.

I can't believe 8 months went by so quickly!

Happy Travels!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:54 AM

well travelinfamily, you are going soon in my book!! i will probably be waiting until July or August of next year!!! and i'm already plotting and scheming! do i go to the Big Island for the first time or return to one of the other islands: all wonderful? tough decision, but so much fun to research and dream about. you are NOT out of your mind: but beware, once you visit you will be addicted and be planning your next vacation on the airplane home!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:05 AM

You will reap the benefits of your studies. I did the same thing for about three months before we went to Maui last January. It was worth every minute! We knew where to go for the best food, activities and accomodations. We did so many glorious things there while others, who barely knew where their hotel was, missed out on too much IMHO because they thought they could just "wing it."

And, I have to disagree that the anticipation might be more than the actual trip. We came back from Maui incredibly thrilled to have gone and not disappointed in the least. Since Postal lived there before, perhaps he/she was a bit desensitized to the island. Be prepared that coming back is very difficult especially if you live in a cold winter climate.

We're going back Feb 2006 so I have 19 months to wait! I only wish we could go again next year!!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:08 AM

I am in 100% agreement with travelinfamily! My husband is the exact opposite, doesn't like to plan ahead and thinks "spontaneity" is better. I think it is probably a good thing because we balance each other out. I make sure we have plane tickets and a room and he keeps me from having an hourly schedule for our vacations! When we go places and I know where the best place to get the local food specialties are or a great hiking trail is he is glad! Part of the fun is in the planning and I don't think I have ever been let down thinking my trip didn't live up to expectations. Maui...10 weeks and counting!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:47 AM

HI

I absolutely understand your excitement. Our first trip is just 2 months away now and I thnk about it all the time too. I have been planing my big 50th birthday trip for two years. My husband is also mister last minute and leaves all the planning to me. It is just as much part of the fun to plan for me as it is to go. He just begged me not to plan what we are going to order at the restaurants I want to eat at while there!!! I actually do have a couple of courses already in mind but I won't tell him
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:42 AM

You sound like me. Oh the anticipation!! You will love Maui.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I just love you guys!! At least I don't have to check into the funny farm anytime soon!! I am so jealous of those of you that are leaving sooner than I am!!! I know that the 6 months will zoom by. I love going on the trip and telling my husband "hey, I read about that resturant in my book" he still thinks I am crazy, but he also knows it pays off. I appreciate the support from all of you!! I can't wait!!!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM
bonniebroad

travelinfamily, for some of us, there's hardly anything better than getting ready to travel, and then traveling......... we just can't help it! And when you've got a destination like Hawaii, you're even MORE revved!!! God bless us everyone, and our guidebooks and luggage!

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
jetset1

During the six months prior to our last Hawaiian vacation, I faithfully trekked to the gym during the sub zero winter months,(Alaskan), and really used some visualizing of past visits to inspire me- hiking around the volcano park, the mule ride on Molokai, the canyon ride on Kauai, the drive to Hana, the North Shore on Oahu.
That was pretty motivating, plus, I was thinking of all the great lunches and dinners and libations I was working towards! As I reached my goals and the last month arrived, I rewarded myself with some serious pampering, massages and new luggage.
The funnest part was tricking our kids into thinking we were going to Seattle.. they were impressed by the Hawaiian music and large leather seats up front, but were too tired to "get it", til we took off, and our 13 yr. old realized we were headed South vs. East. He is our Airforce fighter pilot to-be, and he leans forward and calmly announced "oh, we must be going to Hawaii for spring break. Cool". It was worth the whole charade.

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Well, I have to also say that the anticipation also comes from the fact that:
1) it is Hawaii
2) my parents went every year for like
12 years without us kids, so I heard
all about it, saw the pictures and
knew that it was awesome
3) we have had a trip planned for
Hawaii TWICE and had it basically
taken away, the first time (5
years ago) we had all of the
airline tickets, hotel, the whole
works planned and I got pregnant
and didn't think Hawaii in the
last trimester was a good idea.
The last one we had planned for
last month and it fell through for
various reasons, so I have been
looking forward to this for a
very long time.

Don't get me wrong I am a crazy travel planner, I buy the books and check out all of the web sites (I all ready have travel books for a trip planned in 3 years), but there is just something about Hawaii that has me beside myself with anticipation. Thanks again for all of your reply's!! And nothing is going to stop me this time, we already have the airline tickets and the hotel if only it were January already!!