Search

alternative to Sanibel Island?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2012, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternative to Sanibel Island?

Hi,

We're late to get going to find a place to stay week of Feb. 25, on or very near beach, either walking distance to some restaurants/shops or if must be, close ride and fairly easy parking. Were wanting to do Sanibel Island because it's a non-stop and affordable flight for us (we're in Phila.) and it came recommended - but everything I'm seeing is extremely expensive.

Any alternatives anyone could recommend, that would meet the above criteria, but where we could find something for under $1800 a week? We're open to any type of lodging (condo, hotel, cottage, inn).

Thanks,
Laura
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 08:38 AM

What about Siesta Key in Sarasota? Not sure if you can fly directly into Sarasota, but it's about a 1 hour drive from Tampa.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM

RSW would also get you to Ft. Myers Beach or Bonita Beach both of which are much less expensive.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM

Hi Laura. Before you change directions, I am just wondering if you are seeking under $1800 including taxes and fees? If not, there are many alternatives on Sanibel Island that would appear to meet your needs for under $1800. Sanibel is truly the only real "nature" experience for a holiday and if you are seeking that, it is your best bet......
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM

catdance is right.

a couple of my friends are there right now and they are at Loggerhead Cay for 1200 a week for a 2 bedroom. take a look at the sanibel beach club and coquina beach resort - both generally have something reasonable available. Check on VRBO.com and the Sanibel chamber of commerce site. Also check the Colony resort - I just checked and they had plenty for under 1800. also gulf breeze cottages. You will not get luxe at this price point - but you will certainly get a decent even nice stay. Also if you are adventurous, consider renting an rv and staying at periwinkle park - a fantastic campground on the island.

Another tip - when staying at a condo, consider buying from a grocery before yu get on the island. you'll find better options and cheaper prices (generally).

good luck

don't give up on Sanibel. just look some more.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM

Which airport are you flying into? The airports nearest Sanibel are at least a 1/2 hour drive. Even at this late date, you should be able to find something on Sanibel in your price range. What about Captiva Island - the 2 islands are connected.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM

Anna Maria Island is much more to my taste than Sanibel, and generally cheaper. The price range is doable, but eek! the dates are very soon and high season.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM

We are staying at the Carousel Inn on the Beach in Ft Myers Beach next week because Sanibel was out of my price range. We are going to visit Sanibel, but I just need a place to sleep for one night, and Carousel gets decent reviews on Tripadvisor.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the quick replies!

I'll look at little bit more for Sanibel, per several of your responses. I did look a lot already, tho', and anywhere I was seeing was not on or even very close walking distance to beach. So I ended up thinking, maybe there'd be somewhere where we wouldn't have to give up the beach location, for our price. Will explore your specific suggestions, tho!

To those who posted ideas about alternatives rather than encouraging to keep looking at Sanibel - can you tell me a little more about your suggestions (Siesta, Ft. Myers, Bonita or Anna MAria)? One thing we don't want, is high rise after high rise. One thing we do want, is some restaurants and indy shops.

I do know it's high season, I have to learn to plan ahead better!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Circling back...thanks to those who encouraged me not to give up on Sanibel! A health issue intervened, couldn't go end of Feb., and ended up having to re-schedule our vacation for next week, with little time to book our flight and lodging.

Got a flight for nowhere near as low as it would have been originally but not too terrible, considering test results were so long in coming that we were under two weeks when booking. And got a condo at Sanibel Arms that's gulf front, for our price, due to a cancellation. So getting to be right on the beach, and can't wait!

Any Sanibel tips, welcome...